Ch 12- Stargazing

Later near sundown...

"Here, Twillow. I want you to have these." Sig stated, handing the fae a small cloth sack filled with crystals. "They probably aren't much, but if you arrange them in the same symbol on the bag they can keep themselves charged with magic. Perhaps it can help you absorb some more if you need it?"

Twillow gratefully took the bag in her hands and the crystals grew brighter inside upon her touch, "Thank you so much, Sig. These are perfect."

Though the crystals weren't very powerful by fae standards, Twillow knew they would help give her a bit of "magical nourishment". Granted, it wouldn't give her an instant refill of magic should she deplete her natural reserves, but it would sustain her after a while. Putting them around her bed as she slept would be a good use for them.

She batted her wings and smiled at the wizard and his family, "Thank you so much for your kind hospitality. I'm very grateful."

"You're very welcome, Twillow. Please come again." Leida reciprocated kindly and looked up, "You too, Kendrick."

He grunted in response, still seeming irked from earlier as he turned and trod back through the forest.

Sig grimaced with a heavy sigh, "I...I think he's still mad."

"Why is Mr. Kendrick mad?" Leon asked with worry, "Is he mad at me?"

"Oh! No! Of course not, sweetie." Twillow assured him as she gestured to herself and his parents, "We...just made a mistake and he's upset about that mistake."

The boy seemed confused but not as worried.

Twillow frowned but reassured the family, "I'll talk to him."

Twillow flew up into the air to follow Kendrick.

"Bye, Twillow! Bye, Mr. Kendrick!" Leon shouted with a big wave.

Twillow did a graceful flip around and waved back.

In no time, Twillow caught up with Kendrick and alighted on his broad shoulder to sit comfortably. His eyes rolled sideways to look at her. A ghost of a smile briefly showed at the corner of his mouth. Together they proceeded back toward Kendrick's home, not saying much at first.

The fae could tell her giant friend was still miffed by the implied accusation of him doing something unspeakable to Sig's son. It honestly surprised her he would be bothered, but she felt the need to smooth things down.

"I'm sure they didn't mean it that way, Kendrick." Twillow mentioned in his ear.

He grunted sourly, not giving life to that explanation.

"They're just protective parents and their imaginations got away from them." she offered gently.

"Humans are all the same, Twillow. They don't trust me...I don't trust them." he growled shortly. "It's always been that way."

Twillow frowned, "Well...Leon trusts you."

He sighed, dropping his shoulder, "He's a child. He doesn't know any better."

"He may be a child, but I think he sees you for how you truly are." Twillow's voice was gentle. "He sees what I see."

"And... what do you see?"

"That despite your reputation you have a gentle kindness in your hearts...much as you'd like to keep it hidden." she explained.

Kendrick stared at her for a time before the corner of his mouth twitched and he looked straight ahead again. He didn't know how to react to that assessment of his character.