𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕣𝕥𝕖𝕖𝕟

"You know what to do, right?" Scott stood in front of me, handing me the canister of red particles. I slipped them into the grey shaded suit that was tightly wrapped around my body, looking at him as I crossed my arms. 
"You told me-repeatedly-what to do. I think I understand it by now." I walked out of the room, Scott following close behind, continuing to speak to me some sort of long mumbley paragraph I wasn't paying attention to. "Look, Scott. You've told me all of this a million times. I know, one shot at this. I'll go back, grab something, and hold onto it when you pull me back." My footsteps echoed across the metal ramp as I stepped onto the large platform, looking at the glass plates under my feet. Bruce stood with the rest of the group behind the control terminal, messing with a few buttons. He finally looked up, looking at me before speaking. 
"Alright, you ready to do this?"
"I'm about to go back in time to figure out how to get 6 magical stones away from a giant purple alien. Hell yeah, I'm ready."
"Alright, you'll be going back in three, two, one-"

The oddest sensation was feeling my own body shrink. Before I knew what was even happening my head was spinning, lungs struggling to catch any sort of breath. I couldn't see much, but the little bits I could see was like looking into a microscope with 1000x magnification. When it was all over I felt my knees hit soft ground, the sounds of birds and animals echoing through the quiet air. I caught my breath finally, the helmet retracting back into the suit so I could get oxygen into my body. When I finally stood up, I took in my surroundings. 

I was in the backyard of a familiar house, standing on a pile of soft green grass. A tree stood in the middle of the yard, a black chain link fence surrounding the perimeter of the yard. A dog house sat a few feet away, painted red and blue. The house that layed in front of me had white siding, a white swinging door lying in front of a concrete patio that housed a dark wooden table and chairs. Sounds of laughing came through the open kitchen window; four voices, a high pitched female voice, a lower pitched woman's voice, and two deep men's voices. I took in a breath, stepping onto the patio and up to the door.  I touched it before stepping back, using jet streams of electricity to softly land on top of the light blue patio awning. 

My feet were soft as not to make a sound, walking over to a small window that rested against one wall. I opened it, sliding it open just enough to let me inside. I climbed in, landing on top of a soft mattress. I looked through the room, noticing the dark blue walls and matching grey bedspreads that layed on top of the two beds laying next to each other. A chemistry set sat against one wall, a television on the wall opposite the beds. Two book shelves rested next to the closet and a radio sat atop of a dresser. A desk sat against the last empty wall, pieces of electronics, trash, and tools. A medium sized tool box sat next to it, open and missing a few tools.

I walked over to it, rummaging through the box. Inside laid a large bound stack of vintage books, tied together with a light blue ribbon. A piece of paper was folded and tied to the top of the stack, my name written across the top. I remembered these books; it was a large set of vintage science, math, and tech books my family had given me for my 12th birthday. I never ended up reading them before they got destroyed when my house flooded a year later. I was utterly devastated when we found them lying in a large puddle. 

I picked the set up, carrying the normally heavy stack with one hand. I heard the sounds of footsteps coming up the stairs to the door, quickly moving my body to hide behind the nearest structure. In stepped a figure, about 18 years old, a little bit taller than I am now. His hair was a dark brown, with a stature somewhere between muscular and thin. He wore a black v-neck t-shirt and a pair of dark jeans.

"A-Adam?" It was like a wave of emotion hit me when I saw him again. It had been years, almost too many to count. The last time I had seen him in person was his high school graduation, right before he started school at NYU and moved to New York. I was the only family member he talked to after that; he never talked to my dad and my mom never had time to talk to him since she worked so hard everyday. He sent me letters, gifts, called me all the time especially after I got my first phone. The last time I remember talking to him was when he got his first big internship opportunity at the Bugle, just a few months before he died. 

I took a step forward, trying to reach out to him. All I wanted was to talk to him again, see him again after not talking to him for so long. As I was about to call out to him-against my better judgement-I was pulled back into the quantum tunnel. When I came back out, I had landed on my knees, still gripping the set of books I had been holding onto. I didn't realize I was crying until Natasha leaned over me, asking me if I was okay. I stood up, taking a few shocked breaths. When I finally gathered my bearings, I nodded. 

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine." I finally calmed down, wiping the tears away from my eyes. "I got them."

⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅

"So what is this stuff anyway?" Steve began flipping through the pages of various books, setting them aside as he got done with looking at them. 
"A vintage book set my family got me when I turned 12. I never got the chance to read them before my house flooded and they got destroyed."
"You read books like this when you were 12?" 
"Books on what?" Tony came through the doorway, picking up some of the books and reading out the titles. "Astronomy, Industrial Stoichiometry, Engineering Mechanics, Transistors, Textbook of Anatomy and Physiology, Aircraft Engine Maintenance, Essentials of Electricity for Radio and Television, Principles of Abnormal Psychology. Half of this stuff I couldn't even read and understand."
"Looks like I've got you beat then." I took the stack of books and set them aside, picking up the note that had been tied to the top of the stack. I sat back in the chair, opening it to read it.

Y/N, 

I don't know how you understand anything in these books, especially at your age, but I guess that's the divide in our intellect. I've been through physics and chemistry classes, AP ones at that, and you still know more than me at the age of 12. You truly are a spectacle. 
I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up being the girl who everyone goes to for homework answers. But remember what I always told you-always tell them no. Never let anybody take advantage of you, and if someone does you can always come to me and I swear I'll beat them up.

I'm kidding. I couldn't beat anyone if I tried. I may be athletic but I play soccer, not football like dad did. Tick off another box on his disapproval ticket. 

Anyway, I hope these books help you with whatever you do up there all the time. It's a wonder to me how you don't get hurt, but you've practically had tools in your hands since you were able to hold one. When I leave this house just make sure you watch yourself alright? I won't always be here to watch over you all the time. 

Mom and Dad are gonna say this gift is from them too but don't let them fool you. I did all the work on finding these fossils of a set of books. How do you even find books from the 40s anyway? Doesn't matter. Now you have them and you can read them all you want.

Happy birthday, lightning bug. 

-The best big brother ever 

sorry if i said that adam was a different age earlier on. i had to change the age a little bit for it to make sense.

also i apologize for any typos. i didn't have time to edit this.