𝕆𝕟𝕖

"I don't understand why you two just don't go out already."
"Mom!" I let out a laugh as her hands gripped the steering wheel. "I told you, neither of us are ready for a relationship right now."
"Still, he's a nice boy. You two would make some beautiful grandkids."
"Oh my god mom!" I dropped my jaw and looked out of the window with red cheeks.
"Hey, I'm just-" The sound of the tires screeching sounded through my ears as my vision went black. I felt myself flying through the air slowly, the broken glass cutting my hands-

I woke up with a start. A burning smell filled the air and when I lifted my hands, in their place were large burn marks where the electricity had scorched the mattress. My chest heaved with every breath I struggled to take, my hands running through my hair. The wind whipped through my window and made me shiver, so I grabbed the nearest jacket and slipped it on. My fingers barely poked out from the sleeves and it smelled faintly familiar, so I pulled the hood up over my head. I laid back down and stared at the ceiling while I played with the zipper.

Lately, I'd been having worse and worse nightmares about my mom and the day she died. I'd seen her get into car accidents, plane crashes, fatal muggings, tornados, drowning. The worst by far was when I had to watch her get shot, feeling like there was nothing I could do. My whole body was stuck to the ground as my feet felt like lead, unable to move as she bled out on the ground. I let one tear escape my eyes while I rolled over towards the window, staring at the stars that were barely visible. I huffed and finally just jumped out of the window, swinging my legs over and onto the fire escape. I reached up and pulled myself up; perks of living on the top floor of a complex. My fingers messed with the sleeves, pulling them up to about my wrist. I started playing with my powers as I just stared at the light in my palms. It was something I often did when I felt anxious or panicked.

Over the past couple months I'd learned how to better control my powers. I'd started trying new things out, like keeping steady streams, propelling myself forwards, and absorbing electrical currents. I'd been out fighting crime on weekends mostly, deciding to spend a little more time on myself and getting some sleep. I'd tried training with Peter a couple times, but something always got in the way. Plus, things weren't the same between us anymore. Sure, we saw each other at school and we talked like normal and everything, but something felt...off. Constantly. Like something really bad was about to happen but we didn't know what. And I don't mean just to us, to the whole world.

"You've really got to stop doing this." His voice scared me a little bit, making me jump and the light fizzle away quickly.
"Couldn't sleep." I pulled my legs up to my chest and hugged them, feeling the cold breeze against me.
"Nightmares again?" Peter sat down next to me, pulling off his mask. I almost laughed at the matted mess on his head.
"Yeah." My voice cracked a little. "They're getting worse, Pete. It's almost every night at this point, and they're more horrific than the last. And it's always the same thing. Something happens and I'm not able to help it. And I hate it because it makes me feel even worse about the whole situation. God I'm a mess." I buried my head in the oversized jacket, sniffling a few tears away. I felt Peter's eyes on me and looked up. "What?"
"Y-Your wearing my hoodie." I saw the faint smile he had on his lips. I blushed and looked away quickly, trying not to make eye contact.
"Oh. Y-yeah, I guess I am." I let my hands continued to play with the sleeve of it. "D-Do you want it back?"
"No!" I laughed a little at the louder than normal exclamation. "I mean, no. It, uhm, looks better on you than it does on me." He gave another smile and I looked down, thanking god that it was dark and he couldn't see me. Except that my eyes and hands glowed bright pink for about 30 seconds, so that kinda gave me away.

"What does pink mean?"
"Huh?" I looked up, confused.
"The color changes. What does pink mean?" I just looked away shyly.
"Uhm, I don't know." I hoped he didn't see through the lie as easily as I'm sure he did, but he didn't say anything.
"You plan on going back to bed anytime soon?" He spoke softly as I shook my head.
"I'll probably just stay up here for a little while. Get some fresh air." I leaned back and laid down, staring at the stars sprinkled on the dark black sky like a picnic blanket a kid spilled sugar on. I saw Peter lay down next to me.
"Then I'll stay too."

⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅

"Ooookay, that should be the last piece." I finished placing down the last piece onto the suit. "Thanks for the help again, Tony."
"It's no problem. Just come by and you can use the lab whenever you need to." I folded the suit up, slipping it into my backpack with a sigh. In the past few months I'd become really close with Tony as well, him helping me with my suit, tech, and sometimes homework. I leaned against the table and gripped it tightly. "Something on your mind?" He stood next to me. "It's Peter again, isn't it?" I nodded and closed my eyes for a second, taking in a breath.
"I just...I really, really want to try things with him again but I'm so afraid that I'll be this terrible girlfriend. I don't want to ignore him because of all this or worry him but...it's really hard when he's always so sweet to me all the time." I huffed and ran my hands through my hair.
"Well, I'm no master of relationship advice but if you still feel that strongly about him, why don't you just try things out? See how it goes." He popped a piece of licorice in his mouth, giving me a look of 'stop being an idiot'.
"I don't know. Maybe it's stupid but I'm always second guessing myself when it comes to all this. Maybe for once I should just stop thinking."
"Maybe." He gave me a soft smile. "Now get home before your dad gets mad. We don't want a repeat of last time."
"Yeah, you're right. Thanks Tony." He gave me a nod and a pat on the back before I left, jogging out of the building.

⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅

"Okay, okay, okay. Coffee or tea?"
"Neither." Peter said it so bluntly. My mouth dropped open while I grabbed my backpack straps.
"What do you mean neither? Neither isn't an option." I let out a laugh while I climbed onto the bus.
"I don't like coffee or tea. I'm more of a hot chocolate kinda guy." We both let out a chuckle as I slid into the seat, Peter sitting next to me. The bus started up and we headed down the road back towards Midtown.
"But what if Rey's a Jedi because she's Luke's daughter?"
"That doesn't make any sense." I gave him a confused look.
"Sure it does. I mean her and Kylo Ren have that weird-" A shooting pain shot up my back and skull that caused me to flinch, my finger tips buzzing as me and Peter gave each other an urgent look. We looked out the window to see a giant space ship floating in the sky, heading right for New York.

"Holy shit." I watched as Peter tapped Ned on the shoulder, digging in my bag to find my gloves. I pulled the small bracelets out of my bag and slid them onto my wrist, the whole thing expanding into a glove across my whole hand. Peter put on his own web shooter and opened up the emergency exit, grabbing his mask before turning to me.
"I'll go first. Don't worry, I'll catch you."
"You better." I smirked at him as he swung out, my eyes looking around to make sure nobody was there. I unzipped the hoodie I was wearing and unbuttoned the button up, running and jumping out of the window.

So much for a normal life.

I know this took me forever to get up but I was finally able to get it up! I've been super busy with starting a new job recently that everything is a lot of work.

So thank you guys for reading, and if you're seeing this without reading the first book in my sunflower series, go check that out!
Bye!