ℕ𝕚𝕟𝕖𝕥𝕖𝕖𝕟

It was like the whole world had stopped moving.
The only thing I could hear was the sounds of the cars that drove on the road below, following quickly by the sounds of the rain hitting the pavement. I was soaked but I didn't care, closing my eyes and simply taking in the feeling of the raindrops hitting my face. It was perfect, like I was completely and totally alone in this moment, and there was nothing that could ruin it.

"You look a little cold."
"Aaaand there it is." I opened my eyes, looking up at Peter as he stood above me. "You just had to ruin it huh?"
"Ruin what?"
"I was having a very peaceful moment alone on my roof and of course you go and ruin it."
"Sorry that I wanted to make sure you weren't freezing."

I sat up, giving him a small smile. He sat down beside me, taking the mask off of his face.

"Well, I suppose I should say thank you for caring so much."
He let out a small laugh.
"Seriously though, aren't you cold?"
"You know, the cool thing about having electricity running through your body is that you never really get cold."
Peter layed down his back, staring up at the night sky. He seemed to be worried about something, or like something weighed heavy on his mind.
"You alright, Pete?"
"Yeah." He sighed. "No. I don't know."
"What do you mean you don't know?"
"It's...complicated."

"We're superheroes. Everything is always complicated. At least tell me what's up?"
He sighed. "Girl...problems."
"...oh."

There was a silence. I couldn't help the pang in my chest as he said that, leaving it so vague so that I had no idea what exactly he was talking about. Despite how long it had been since we said we would go on a break, I was never quite ready to let him go. It hurt to think that maybe he had already moved on, but I wouldn't blame him if he had. He was probably talking about MJ. I know if I wasn't so stuck on him I'd probably go for MJ, too.

"I should probably get back home. Any longer and my dad is going to wonder where I am."
"Yeah, yeah I should get home, too. May is probably getting worried." We both stood up, the air around us now thick with an unspoken tension. We stood there for a moment before saying another goodbye and parting ways. 

Once I got home, I stripped off all my wet clothes, piling them into a ball in the bathroom. I took a shower to wash off the sweat that formed on my skin during patrol, relishing in the warmth of the shower water. And for some unknown reason I started to cry. 

I didn't even know what started it, but before I knew it I was full on sobbing. The tightness in my chest grew and grew, and it was all I could do not to scream. I was so confused about everything; at the same time that I wanted to do my job and keep saving the world, I wanted nothing more than to have a normal life. I wanted so bad to be able to have study dates and movie nights again, but doing what I was doing now made me so...happy.

The one thing I was missing was Peter.

When I came to, it took everything in me not cough up my entire lung. I couldn't really see anything, my entire vision clouded with dust as my eyes watered uncontrollably. I coughed the dust that I continued to breath in, and the only sounds I was able to hear were the continuous falling of concrete and rocks mixed with rushing water from broken pipes. The buzzing of my earpiece split through the deafening sounds, jagged words able to made out.

"Y/N...are you....where...okay?"
"Tony? Tony is that you?"
The sound became clearer.
"Yeah, it's me kid. Where are you?"
"I don't...I don't know. All I can see is concrete and water. What happened?"
"Something blew up the compound and we all got separated. Can you see any sort of opening?"

I looked around me for some sort of escape. There was a narrow hole to my left, one that I could just barely crawl through if I could manage to get up off the ground. I tried to stand up, but the moment my ankles held any weight, they simply collapsed.

"I...I can see an opening but I don't know if I can stand. Something's wrong with my legs."
"Come on kid, keep trying." Steve's voice was the one that came through now. "You gotta keep trying."

I tried standing again, and this time I was able to make it half way onto my feet before I collapsed again. On the third try, I was finally able to make it up to my feet. I stumbled my way through the dark and quickly flooding wreckage to the opening, climbing through with effort. I maneuvered my way through the new area I was in, finally able to find where Tony and Steve were.

"Oh, thank god we didn't get too far separated."
"Where's everyone else?"
"I don't know. Everyone got thrown to different places in the wreckage and we have no idea where to find everyone."
"What are we gonna do? How are we gonna get everyone out?"
"I don't know, but we need to focus on something else right now."

I noticed Thor standing not too far away from us, looking out at whatever lay in front of him. Tony was the first to take a step towards him, me and Steve following after him. 

"Has he done anything since the attack?"
"Nothing. He's just been sitting there, waiting."
"Are you telling me that past Thanos came to the future to get the stones?"
Tony nodded.
"Great. First I revert five years to go through my awkward stages all over again and now I have to fight the past version of the guy who stabbed me."
"Where are the stones?"
"Somewhere buried underneath all of this rubble."
"At least Thanos doesn't have them."
"All we have to do is keep it that way."
"I guess we're all in agreement then."

While Thor did his little transformation sequence like something straight out of an action movie, I tightened the bracers on my wrists. 

"I get that you're a god and everything but must you always be so theatrical?"
He didn't say anything, just letting out a laugh in response.

"Well, I don't particularly take kindly to being blown up. Quite frankly, it pisses me off. So, whadya say we take that big ugly alien's hopes and dreams and shove em right up his ass?"