𝕋𝕨𝕖𝕟𝕥𝕪-𝔽𝕠𝕦𝕣

Tony's funeral was a few weeks later.
Everyone needed some time to get things situated and try their best to return to a small bit of normalcy, but quite frankly the world was on fire. There was commotion up and down my street for what felt like a week straight, my neighbors who had moved in over the past five years suddenly being evicted by those that had returned to their homes. Me and my dad were lucky, considering the fact that I had taken over ownership when my dad had disappeared, but all of our neighbors weren't as well off as we were. Sadly, there was nothing we could really do to help them.

Me and Peter were together practically every night. I think it was more the fact that neither one of us wanted to be alone with our thoughts long enough to actually process what was going on and would be for months. It was hard for both of us, and no matter how many times Peter said he was fine, I knew how big of a lie it was.
That was apparent when Pepper asked the two of us to help go through Tony's things. Peter had refused politely, saying something about wanting to stay home and help May get adjusted to things again, even though she had told me a few days ago that she was trying to help him get used to things. I just told him I'd tell him what I found and didn't push it.

There wasn't much of Tony's to go through. It was pretty much just everything that had been left at the cabin; old projects that never got finished, some family photos, a few notebooks full of egotistical scribbles and notes. The garage was where everything of his that he wanted to keep secret seemed to be stored, so me and Pepper searched through that to see what we could find. It all seemed to just be junk, but after looking for a while and wading through piles of electronic pieces, we found some marked items.
One was what looked to be his original Iron Man helmet, polished and shimmering, with a note taped to the front that read For Morgan, just press play.
The next one was a pristine white envelope, tucked underneath the helmet, my name scrawled on the outside in Tony's messy handwriting. I tucked it into my pocket and left the garage before I could find anything else.

For some stupid reason, I decided to go with everyone else for the last bit of body recovery at the destroyed compound. As unearthly sick as it made me, I think I needed some sort of confirmation that everything was real. Seeing all of those bodies, all of the blood and debris that littered the place, made it all sink in just that little bit further to tell me it wasn't all just one big nightmare.
While the others carried bodies back to where they belonged, I stayed behind to search through the rubble. There wasn't much left intact, but we were lucky enough that the rockets had only destroyed about half of the structure somehow. The majority of the bedrooms were still standing, although they weren't much more than three walls and a door. I walked through the rock covered hallway and stopped in front of the third door down.

It hurt to walk into Natasha's room and see it like this. The entire far wall of windows had been blown out, shards of glass scattered the floor that crunched under my boots as I took more and more steps inside. The clothes in the closet were practically shredded aside from a black leather jacket, and all of the lamps, paintings, and pictures had been thrown to the floor and broken. The bed was nothing more than shredded and burnt memory foam, and every other piece of furniture was laying face down on the floor. The bathroom wasn't much better, practically just a pile of tile and porcelain, but amongst all of the rubble was a small grey lockbox covered in ash.

I took the lockbox and left the compound, unable to stand the stench of dirt and death that had started to permeate the air. I would already have to deal with Tony's funeral later that night and wasn't really interested in being surrounded by death more than I had to be for one day.
Once I was back home, Peter was waiting for me like we had planned. We'd arranged to go to the funeral together alongside May, but we wanted to get ready together at my house. I think most of it was so that, if one of us were to breakdown, we would have someone else there to pick up the pieces.