Chapter 15

Somewhere Someday

(Chapter 15 – Story of A Child)

“Who are you?!” Alfred asks the old woman in great surprise. Seeing her persistent with her call, he becomes curious of what she is talking about.

“I am Mila… Ate Helena’s child friend!” She exclaims, startling Alfred as his eyes become more round. “You haven’t changed. You are still the same Alfred that Ate Helena used to love.” She added.

“How did that happen?” The young man asks the old woman. “Everyone in the Dela Vega house was… was… murdered. After 65 years, it is only now that I’ve read about the news.”

“Please allow me to explain, Alfred…” The elderly woman moves her wheelchair a bit and looks at Hanna. “You should listen too, Ate Helena!” making Hanna think that the aged woman is out of her mind.

Mila starts to tell the story which Alfred never knew 65 years ago.

“One humid night in April 1947, Ate Helena decided to leave the house and go with you, Alfred. She told me that her parents were being too strict on her when it comes to choosing friends. She was very worried that something bad happened to her love, so she packed her things in her suitcase and instructed me not to tell her secrets and whereabouts. She was about to follow you at the carnival, for she would convince you to elope and move to Bulacan.”

“Ate, hurry up. Alfred might be waiting for you at the carnival.” Mila innocently tells Helena.

“Mila, please do me a great favor. When my parents or Gloria asks you, tell them that you know nothing, okay? I will miss you, baby.” Helena pants for air as she quickly hugs the kid.

As she closes her suitcase, they suddenly hear a strange noise coming from outside the room. The sound of near heavy footsteps starts to scare Helena and Mila.

“Hide under the bed. Whatever happens, do not make sounds.” Helena tells Mila as the kid hastily follows the order and ducks under the mattress. Helena grabs her suitcase and places it under with the child.

After a while, someone bangs the door and opens it with great force. Even the lock is destroyed. Helena’s heart starts to palpitate as she shrieks in great horror.

“I can never forget that moment when Jaime banged the door and raised a revolver pointing to Ate Helena’s chest. I was under the bed, following Ate’s instruction not to make noise.”

“Jaime, please! Stop it… I am begging you. Please… please…” Helena cries, kneeling before the crazy young man. She trembles while holding a rosary in her right pocket.

“No! You chose that carnival rat over me. You embarrassed me… my whole family! We will soon be a laughing stock here in San Pascual!” Jaime sweats as his eyes glare frighteningly, slowly becoming a monster in front of Helena.

“It’s not my fault, Jaime. You’re the one making those things in your mind. You will not be a laughing stock.” Helena tries to calm Jaime.