Chapter 20

Somewhere Someday

(Chapter 20 – Dying to Tell You)

“Hanna” An unexpected voice enters the quiet and calm hospital room. As the young lady opens her eyes, the sight of Alfred shocks her.

“A-Alfred?! You’re… you’re back!” Hanna stutters, trying to get up from her bed.

“Just… lie down. You need to rest.” The young man sits down as he holds his girlfriend’s hand. He bows his head down, trying to figure out what to say.

“I’m sorry.” Hanna starts talking, to which Alfred replies “For what?”

“For not telling you that I’m sick. It’s been 2 to 3 months since I first knew.” She looks at her boyfriend with guilt and frustration.

“I can easily forgive you for that. What matters now is how you should recover.” Alfred rubs her right hand and kisses it.

“I’m scared. I don’t know what will happen next.” Hanna worries for her future. She does not know if she will still live longer. To forget those thoughts temporarily, she diverts the topic to Alfred’s stay abroad.

“How was your trip? You’re a degree holder now. Your dream came true!” Hanna mildly touches Alfred’s face to relieve him from his worry.

“I can’t be happy right now. You’re sick.” The young man shows his lonely face.

“Don’t be sad. You should be more than happy. Isn’t this your dream? To be educated… to learn more things and to gain knowledge? Imagine if Mang Fernando is still alive. He would have bought you a cake, even if it’s not your birthday.” Hanna explains the things he should be thankful for.

“But… my dream would mean nothing if I would lose you once more. I want us to be together, sharing our hopes… making our own dream!” Alfred’s eyes begin to get puffy.

The young man’s tears roll on his cheeks, hands holding Hanna’s, as the girl looks for an answer up above. She quietly prays for her recovery.

**********************

In the school hallway, Lloyd walks up as he sees Alfred walking through the busy corridor. The boy has been thinking to do this since then, but he didn’t have the courage to speak to the young man about a certain matter – an issue that should be discussed as soon as possible.

“Kuya Alfred… I need to tell you something.” The freshman firmly says, starting a conversation between the two of them.

Alfred takes him to a coffee shop nearby as the boy suggests that the topic to be discussed is sensitive. While they sip the frappuccino of their choice, Lloyd starts telling the story.

“Trixie told me that she was being harassed by Bryan when she was in high school. And… now that he has returned, she’s afraid that such thing might happen again.” The boy spills the beans.