Chapter 5

Somewhere Someday

(Chapter 5 – Parallel Lives)

June 2012

As rain falls hard on a gloomy school day at University of Science & Technology, two siblings run with worry through a lengthy hallway, passing by silver-painted lockers  armed in digital locks and spacious classrooms covered in metal doors with white surveillance cameras on each side. This huge corridor is just one of the pathways in this gigantic and prestigious university. Students from all over the country, as well as foreigners, come to take courses on Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Medicine, Psychology, Information Technology, Medical Technology, Computer Engineering and other new fields that are scienitific and modern in nature.

“What happened, Ate? Why did you call me?” a tall teenage boy in clean white polo shirt and black slacks panics as he follows his sister.

“The dean says it’s an emergency. I dunno!” his sister wearing a preppy white blouse and white skirt answers, finding her way to the administrator’s office.

The siblings find themselves at the top floor of the building, facing a large crystal glass door. One presses a small green button which serves as a doorbell. After a few seconds, the transparent door opens, gliding sideways.

“Good morning. Are you the Villegas siblings?” asks a new male college secretary at the front desk.

“Yes. I’m Hanna, and this is my brother Lloyd.” she says with a smile, hiding her confusion and worry.

The older sister has the right to worry because everything she does can have a weight on her status as a full scholar of the university. She is Hanna Villegas, the most intelligent junior college student in the College of Pharmacy and Medical Technology. She is not only intelligent, but pretty as well. With fair and creamy complexion, long silky hair, round brown eyes, cute smile and sweet red lips, she can easily get a man’s heart. But at 19 years of age, she had not been in love. She is just focused on her studies.

“Will this take long? I might be late for the basketball tryout.” her younger brother complains while scratching his head.

Tall, fair and handsome – these are the words that describe Lloyd Villegas. He is a boy-next-door type of guy. With round brown eyes like his sister, slim fit body, and a cute babyface look, he can give today’s teen stars a run for their money. But he seems to be an awkward one, considering that he is just a 17 year-old freshman at the College of Behavioral Studies.

“Please come in.” a voice is telling Hanna and Lloyd to enter the president’s office.

“Papa, why are you here?!” Hanna is surprised to their father sitting adjacent to the president’s desk, lonely and exhausted as he wipes his white face towel to his perspiring head.

The plump middle-aged female school president tells the children to sit beside their father, William Villegas, who works as a janitor for almost ten years. Tall and stocky in appearance, he has a typical father look as his beer belly appears while sitting in despair.