Chapter 9

Somewhere Someday

(Chapter 9 – What If It Still Hurts?)

“I’m not Helena!” Hanna quickly grabs Alfred’s hand as she pulls it away from her face.

A dead air fills the laboratory, creating an awkward tension between Alfred and Hanna. Few teardrops moisten the guy’s confused eyes. Staring at her beautiful face that seems to be unchanged, he still can’t believe that he would see such image after 65 years. As he continues to look at every detail of the girl’s face, his mood starts to change. From surprised and confused, to frustrated.

Memories suddenly flashed in his mind, with vivid and clear details, as if they just happened yesterday. The night when he left the town of San Pascual… the night when he expected Helena to just even visit him on his time of departure… all of those thoughts came back into his mind.

“Why didn’t you come? I was waiting for you at the carnival!” Alfred holds Hanna’s shoulders as he shakes them gently.

Hanna pushes him away as she is still traumatized about her previous encounter with the perverted director. Unexpected touches now become a big deal. Her heart rate starts to go up again.

“What are you talking about? I’m Hanna! I repeat, I am Hanna Villegas! I am not Helena!” The young lady shouts as she proves her point with hand gestures.

“I know your father does not like me, but why did you not even come to see me? I loved you ever since... and…” Alfred rants as Hanna counters his statement.

“Please stop! I don’t even know who Helena is. Is she your ex? Fling? One-night stand? Dog? I dunno! So please… please…” Hanna walks a few steps back from Alfred.

“Alfred, calm down! She is not Helena!” Dr. Edgar says in a firm and authoritative voice.

Hanna is still confused as she whispers a question to the doctor.

“I-is he a… special child? Or maybe… you know?” Hanna rolls her finger beside her head, a gesture meaning someone who is crazy, or mentally ill.

“Hahahaha! You’re funny!” Dr. Edgar laughs as he whispers something to Hanna, taking her to a corner away from Alfred. “I’ll explain everything.”

The young man is left standing at the center of the laboratory, harboring feelings of resentment and disappointment. It did not take long before his heart was filled with bitterness, as he remembered his self-promise before coming to Manila – I’ll never smile again.

Meanwhile, on a silent corner, Dr. Edgar starts to explain things and facts about Alfred, and how he was brought to this era. Hanna raises her brows in disbelief, but with specific details, documents and evidences, the doctor slowly convinces her that the experiment is genuine.

“As far as I know, Alfred is the only person frozen who is brought back alive. American and European humans who tried the procedure are still in their respective frozen tubes.” Dr. Edgar adds facts from Alfred’s story.