Chapter 2

Somewhere Someday

(Chapter 2 – Smile of First Love)

The two found themselves lying on the ground as Helena continues to catch her breath, still astonished about the quick situation. Alfred’s strong arms and firm muscles are enough to cover and protect her. People around them saw what he did and gave him an applause. For the carnival patrons, Alfred is indeed the hero of the night.

“Are you alright?” Alfred firmly asks her.

“Y-yes! Thank you!” Helena answers with full gratitude.

It was Alfred’s first time to be this close to the girl he admires. He can almost smell her sweet breath everytime she exhales. As Alfred stares into her deep brown eyes, he wants to know her more. He wants to understand her as a person, and as a girl. He watches as her lips move, preparing herself to speak.

“May I ask a question? How did you know my name?” Helena asks.

Alfred had to think of an answer quick. He stutters as he starts to explain.

“I… I… I just…”

“Hey! Put us down!” passengers from the Ferris wheel shouted at the top of their lungs.

In saving the girl, Alfred forgot to stop the ride. Now, people are complaining of inconvenience. Surely, he is tired of passengers who are impatient and demanding, but this time, he wanted to thank them… for the interruption.

“What is the commotion all about?!” Don Rogelio steals the scene. He sees the passengers left alone in the wheel cars.

“Alfred!!!” the old man shouts with a trembling voice.

“Yes, sir?!” Alfred answers with panic.

Even people watching is scared by Don Rogelio’s presence. He fits the description of a dirty old man dressed in a clean white suit. His strong scent spreads over the area which smells like cologne mixed with the smell of liquor.

“You’re fired!!!” Don Rogelio shouted with his finger pointed at Alfred’s forehead.

Alfred’s world stopped. The old man just fired him. His job is all that he has for now. He wants to punch the old man chewing tobacco in front of him, but he can’t.

“You can’t fire him! He just saved a girl from a falling piece of metal!” a patron shouted.

Don Rogelio looked at Helena directly in the eyes. He frowns as he blurts out his question.

“Is this true? Did Alfred save you?”

“Yes! If not for him, I would have been crushed by the metal bar.” Helena quickly answered.