Chapter 4

Somewhere Someday

(Chapter 4 – Into A New World)

April 1947

It is a cold rainy night as the roads are washed away because of a heavy downpour. Headlights suddenly flicker as a velvet car runs through a muddy driveway.  This isn’t a problem for a brand-new 1947 Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan. Driving an expensive two-door closed car would just be a breeze.

The man driving turns a small silver knob on his radio transistor to hear some band music. Amidst the heavy rains, he just smiles as he hums along with the tune. The driver looks like a 30-ish guy in thick glasses and white lab coat. He has a rounded face with evident cheekbones.

It was not long enough before he noticed a strange body lying in the middle of the dirty road. With the help of his car’s headlights, he slightly identified it as a soaked, bruised and wounded young man who can be declared as dead with just one strike of lightning.

“Hello? Are you still alive?” the man with glasses talks to the semi-lifeless man. He can still hear him breathe. Also soaked in the rain, he carries the poor guy and puts him on the backseat of the car.

He continues to drive as the wipers swab the large raindrops blurring the windshield. After a few kilometers, he sees a small town inn. He decides to stay there for the night.  

**********************

“H-huh? Where am I?” Alfred starts to panic as he opens his eyes. Now wearing a loose plain shirt, he finds himself lying in a small white bed. He looks around the room and stares at the man beside him.

“Oh, glad you’re alive.” the doctor smiles as he continues to clean Alfred’s wounds. He dips a face towel into a bowl filled with warm water. Gauzes and bandages are also seen beside the bed.

“Who are you? Why am I here?” Alfred confusingly asks.

“I am Dr. Jose Mari Martinez, but you can call me Dr. Joey. I found you in the middle of the road. You were almost dead. What happened? And… I would also like to ask… who are you?”

Slowly, Alfred tries to get up while enduring the pain brought by his wounds. Assisted by Dr. Joey, he sits down in his bed and starts to tell a story about what happened to him.

“I’m sorry to hear that, Alfred.” the doctor pities the poor guy’s fate.

Alfred begins to frown, and as his story ends, he rapidly shows anger and fury. The man’s facial bones harden together with the closing of his firm fists. His eyes widen, giving a scary glare. 

“I’ll never smile again. Smiling only causes pain. It’s better to expect nothing and just go along.” he firmly says.

“I understand your situation, young man. I was once a poor rat like you. My parents never believed in me. But what’s important is that I believed in myself. Look at me now… from a nobody… I became… somebody!” Dr. Joey exclaims as he grins to comfort Alfred. The poor boy is just staring at him.