Chapter 3

Somewhere Someday

(Chapter 3 – As The Wheel Turns)

April 1947

Alfred and Helena became good friends. Every morning, after taking her breakfast, the pretty girl would visit her friend in the carnival while she watches him do his work. Heat and exhaustion are not an issue now for Alfred. While hitting nails and twisting tight screws filled with oil and grease, the girl is just beside her – telling stories from her childhood, cracking up jokes and singing some songs. In return, the guy would just smile and hum along.

“The lovebirds are such a beautiful sight!” teases a co-worker who carries metal poles for tents.

“Yeah! I feel like I am watching a motion picture.” says the other worker. For days, Alfred and Helena had been a major item in the carnival.

“You two should shut up and continue with your work!” Alfred shouts with irritation as his co-workers kick dust with their shoes and leave. Helena just laughs at the issue.

“Why are you like that? They were just kidding.” the girl smiles as she pacifies the irritated guy.

“Nothing. It’s almost noon. You should go home and take your lunch.” Alfred answers as he hammers a large nail with force.

“They say that people get mad easily because they hear the truth.” the girl teases in a melodic tune.

“Go home!” Alfred yells. Helena stops teasing him. She gets up and walks quietly towards the carnival exit. Disappointment can be seen in her deep eyes.

“Come back at 6:00pm. I have a surprise for you.” Alfred quickly says.

Helena did not turn her back but she smiled secretly knowing that Alfred has something in store for her. She knows that one day, his rough attitude would change.

**********************

It is 6:00pm, and the sky is nearing its twilight. The orange sun shines gently as it sets slowly behind the sea, giving the carnival a vermilion shade.  Helena comes in time as she looks for Alfred, waiting for the surprise.

“Alfred! I’m here!” Helena shouts with glee.

Suddenly, two hands cover Helena’s eyes. She gasps as she has no clue on what is happening. Two rough hands touch her eyelids.

“Who is this?! What is happening?!” Helena panics.

“It’s me, Alfred.” a firm and manly voice answers her questions.

“Alfred…” the girl sighs in relief. Still, she is clueless on what’s going to happen next.