Chapter 10

Somewhere Someday

(Chapter 10 – Washed Away)

Alfred’s words quickly struck her. Completely insulted, Hanna breathes deeply and faces the young man.

“A lot, Alfred… a lot! Yes. He pays me a lot of money, and I wouldn’t get that easily if I look for it somewhere else. I accepted this job… because I thought that teaching you… would be more bearable than directors harassing me at a casting call, employers seeing me as an object, being shouted at while working in a restaurant…” Hanna starts to rant while tears are falling from her eyes.

Alfred slowly feels regret about his tactless remark. He sulks in his chair while he painfully watches Hanna release her anger and frustration. He then remembers the first and last time when Helena was insulted because of his being frank. Now he does it again, to the girl with the same face as hers.

“It’s an inevitable truth. Most of the time, people do things for them to eat, and for them to live. Sadly, I am one of them.” Hanna cries as she walks out of the room, making Alfred whisper an apology to himself.

“Calm down, Hanna.” Dr. Edgar suddenly blocks the young lady from walking away from the study room. He embraces the crying girl as he apologizes for his stepson’s rudeness.

“Please understand him. I forgot to tell you that he was also a poor guy back then.” Dr. Edgar starts to tell Alfred’s back story. Hanna stops crying and she begins to get interested with the guy’s beginnings.

“Alfred was once an orphan. When he was 15, his parents were killed by Japanese soldiers, making him homeless. He also became a carnival worker for 6 years and lived a poor and humble life, until my father found him.” The doctor remembers the tales which his father, Dr. Joey, keeps on telling him.

Hanna shifts her eyes to Alfred. Seeing him quiet and sorry, her hatred slowly turns into understanding and compassion.

“My father told me that Alfred reads and writes so slow. I was moved, so I added a special formula that will increase his IQ.” Dr. Edgar also looks at Alfred.

“But why is he like that? He’s always grumpy!” Hanna is starting to become concerned about Alfred.

“Because of his hardships and experiences. People always scorn him. His heart has now turned into a rock.” The doctor explains the causes of Alfred’s attitude. “He needs you, Hanna. He needs a kind and patient teacher.” He puts his hands over the young lady’s shoulders.

Hearing the doctor’s words, Hanna suddenly feels the weight of the responsibility tasked unto her. Still looking at Alfred, she can now see through his weary eyes, all the pain and sorrow that the person has experienced. Like a therapy for a special child, her mission is to soften the guy’s heart, and to make him feel somehow special.

“Yes, doc. I’m willing to help him.” Hanna wipes her tears as she puts on a sincere smile.

**********************