Chapter 22

Somewhere Someday

(Chapter 22 – The Greatest Wish)

February 2013

A week has passed and almost everyone is still shocked because of what happened to Hanna and Bryan. Additional security measures are implemented inside the underground laboratory. Fortunately, the team of doctors inside the lab kept mum about the incident. The police and other people from the media were not able to find out. 

“I’m glad she’s still alive.” Alfred looks at Hanna who is sleeping soundly on her hospital bed. The doctor advised her to get enough rest for the last week’s incident caused her too much stress.

“Oh well… you win some… you lose some…” Dr. Edgar replies as he signs the papers for the cremation of Bryan’s body. The middle-aged doctor finds it hard to admit that he is affected with the loss of his son.

“Sometimes I wonder if I was really a good father… because if I was… he wouldn’t be like that!” The doctor  is still in denial. His eyes are getting watery, caused by tears.

“Did you love your children?” Alfred suddenly asks, making the doctor quickly reply “Yes, I did, and I still do. Hard to believe, eh?” The doctor laughs a bit then starts to get emotional again.

“I love them… but I have to admit… I love science more.” Dr. Edgar gives a sudden look at Alfred, making the young man think about what the doctor has said.

“I am now a doctor, and…” Alfred begins to think of some possibilities, and the doctor cuts him.

“Don’t follow my footsteps, Alfred!” The middle-aged man starts to give a sermon. “Be a better doctor… a better man of science than I am… but don’t forget to love the people around you.” He pats the young man’s shoulder.

“T-that was a meaningful advice, Dr. Edgar. Thank you.” The young man bows his head as a sign of respect for the man who developed his skills and personality.

“I will miss you, Alfred.” The doctor smiles with lips closed. This statement makes the young man think.

“Why are you saying that?”

“Soon, you’ll know. I’ll let all of you know.” Dr. Edgar starts to walk away, opening the room door and cruising towards the hospital corridor, leaving Alfred together with Hanna.

**********************

“Trix…” Lloyd’s soft and calm voice tries to comfort the posh chick as she is affected with her brother’s loss. Even if she’s molested by him, she can’t change the fact that they are still siblings, no matter what.

“Why am I mourning and crying like this, Lloyd?” Trixie begins to ask questions. “He was an asshole… a pervert brother… but… but why am I affected? I’m supposed to be happy that he’s dead.” The girl cries as her boyfriend gets a clean white handkerchief for her to use.