33. Sorrow and Love

Kitty squeezed Prim's hand tightly. Prim bit back a scream as Lester pulled a few shards of lead from her wound. He doused the wound in rum and began to sew it shut. Prim closed her eyes, grinding her teeth together.

    "Shit!" She gasped.

    "Sorry," Lester said. "There's no nice way to go about this."

    "I know." Kitty whimpered as Theodore and Jesp walked past, dragging bodies out of the crew quarters. They were the men Prim had killed. Prim's stomach churned, but she managed not to throw up. "Is the ship badly damaged?" Prim asked.

    "No, thankfully. We'll be able to fix her up ourselves and that's good enough for now."

    "Who will be the first mate now?"

    "Captain Flynn will choose one and we'll give our approval."

    Kitty rested her head atop Prim's stomach. Prim threaded her fingers through the girl's damp curls. Benny rested in Kitty's lap. Prim sat up at Lester's behest. He began to stitch up the hole on her back. Her sleeve rested just above her elbow. Prim pulled it up a little higher, self consciously.

    Boots thumped on the stairs. Caspian joined them quietly. He'd changed out of his blood soaked shirt. Lester finished and backed away. He patted Caspian's shoulder as he passed by. Prim twisted off the galley table. Caspian hugged her, burying his face in her hair.

    "Captain Blight's men knew I wasn't your wife," Prim whispered. "How?"

    "The same way Mallory and Kieran knew where to find us. Someone told them." Caspian drew back, anger burning in his brown eyes.

    "Who could've done that?"

    "Remember when we met Charlie at the post office?"

    Prim nodded. "You think it was him?"

    "Maybe. Hopefully he proves me wrong when I question him."

    Prim looked past him. Kitty had curled up in her basket. She petted Benny, silent tears rolling down her cheeks. Prim sat down beside her. "I'm sorry, Kitty."

    "He was the one who found me," Kitty whispered. "He was so kind to me."

    Caspian joined them. He began to stroke her hair gently. "He loved you very much, Kitty."

    She nodded with a sniff. Kitty sat up and twisted onto Caspian's lap. She rested her head against his chest. He hugged her, rocking gently. Kitty reached a hand to Prim. She took it, scooting closer to them. Caspian and Prim were silent as Kitty's sobs faded. She closed her eyes and her breaths evened out. When they were certain she was asleep, Caspian set her in her basket. Benny nestled beside her.

    Caspian helped Prim to her feet and they left the galley. The rain had stopped and no ships were in sight. Clouds still loomed overhead with an occasional clap of thunder. Caleb had a hand on Charlie's shoulder. The rest of the crew had gathered behind them. Prim sat down on the stairs.

    "What's this about?" Charlie demanded.

    "Did you tell Mallory and Kieran what our plans were?" Caspian asked.

    "Of course not."

    "Someone on this ship did."

    "Why would you think it was me?"

    "You stopped at the post office while we were in Port," Caspian replied.

    "So? I was sending a letter to my parents," Charlie muttered.