37. Halfhearted Threats

•~ ❘ ✠ ❘ ~•

•~ ❘ ✠ ❘ ~•

    They reached the office building by mid afternoon. Emilia led the way inside. Prim held Kitty's hand tightly and Coralyn followed them. Emilia approached the young lady sitting behind the front counter.

    "How may I help you?" The woman asked.

    "We need to speak with Mrs. Charmaine about an adoption case?" Emilia replied.

    "You're in luck. She's currently available. Down the hall, third door on the right." The woman pointed to it.

    "Thank you." They all followed Emilia down the hall. They were admitted into Mrs. Charmaine's office immediately after knocking.

    "Emilia!" Mrs. Charmaine waved them in. "I thought I heard your voice out there. What can I do for you?"

    Emilia gestured to Prim. "I need to know how to legally adopt a child," Prim said simply.

    Mrs. Charmaine's mouth fell open. "Miss Claremonte? You're back?"

    "Yes, I'm back." Prim rested her hands on Kitty's shoulders. "Can you help us?"

    "Of course." Mrs. Charmaine pointed to the chairs in front of her. Prim and Kitty sat down. Emilia and Coralyn ducked back into the hallway, closing the door behind them. "So, you'd like to adopt this young lady?"

    "Yes. She's an orphan and has never been in a Children's Home," Prim explained.

    "And do you want to be adopted by Miss Claremonte?" Mrs. Charmaine glanced at Kitty. Kitty answered with a nod. "Are you shy, Dear?"

    "She doesn't speak much," Prim replied.

    "I see. Well, if she's never been in a Home before, that makes things easier for us. Does she have any living relatives?" Kitty shook her head. "Just you, Child? All right." Mrs. Charmaine pulled a few pieces of paper out of her desk. "Fill these out for me."

    Prim read the forms over, then began to fill in the information. She signed her name towards the end of it. Kitty pointed to the second name slot.

    "That is where a father would put his name down," Mrs. Charmaine explained.

    Kitty bit her lip, giving Prim a hopeful look. Next to her own name, Prim wrote, Caspian James Flynn. The line beneath the printed name would remain blank for now.

    "It won't be legally binding on his part until he signs the document," Mrs. Charmaine pointed out. Thankfully, she asked no questions regarding Caspian's name.

    "He might be able to do that someday. For now, it's the thought that counts," Prim replied.

    "And now your name, Child." Mrs. Charmaine pointed to the final name slot. "I'll need your full name."