Cress Is Swooning

Ash

He-he wants to adopt me? No one has ever wanted to adopt me. Is this some sick joke?

"You want to a-adopt me?" I stutter out.

"Yes, I do. I can't think of a better person to call my daughter. I know you are almost eighteen and you probably want to go living on your own instead of staying with me," he sadly says.

"No, I don't want to live alone. I am not ready for that. I am barely ready to chose what I am going to do after high school let alone be forced out on my own," I admit.

"Really?" John asks with a smile on his lips.

"Really," I confirm.

John's smile grows wider if that is possible and he hugs me tight. I hug him back and tears slip out of my eyes.

"What's wrong honey?"

"Nothing. I am just so happy," I grin as I wipe away my tears.

***

I am walking through town towards the beach to find Cress. I can't wait to tell her this amazing news. I still can't believe I am getting adopted. I feel like I am dreaming and soon I will wake up back at the orphanage.

I can see the beach now and I pick up my pace. I spot my crazy friend talking loudly at an ice cream parlour with Cas sitting across from her looking bored. I walk up to them and sit on the other side of the table.

"Hey Ash," Cress sighs, "How much time do I have with you?"

I decide to mess with her and put on a sorrow filled face, "I have to leave in an hour."

"What? I only get an hour with you before you leave?" Her voice shaking.

"Yeah," I sigh heavily.

There is a silence before I can't take it anymore. I smile and chuckle aloud. Cress looks over at me like I have lost my mind.

"I'm joking Cress. You should have seen your face," I start laughing harder.

"What? What do you mean joking? Do I have a full day left to hang out with you?" She asks hopefully.

"No, not a day."

"Then how long?" She wonders.

"Until you get tired of me," I smile.

"What?"

"I am getting adopted!" I cheer.

Cress breaks out into a smile and jumps up from her seat to give me a bone crushing hug which sends us both flying back in my chair as it tips. A squeal escapes my lips at I prepare to fall to the hard ground.

"Ouch," I say when we hit the ground. "Get off me you big goof."

Cress looks at me with a smirk and doesn't move an inch. I shove her off of me and stand up.

"Hey!" Cress chuckles as she stands up. "I am so happy for you! You deserve it!"

"Thank you Cress," I smile as we break away from the hug.

"Good for you," Cas grins and I nod in appreciation.

"Let's celebrate!" Cress shouts in excitement.

"By doing what?" I ask. We aren't old enough to go to bars or clubs.

"We will throw a party! You know that beautiful clearing in the woods?"

I roll my eyes at my best friend, "How are we going to throw a party in a few hours?"

"You leave that all up to me, I got this," Cress confidently smirks.