Chapter 1 - The Dragon's Call

I smiled as my brother groaned about his feet hurting. I was used to standing all day, so mine weren't so bad. We had been walking for a few days now, on our journey to Camelot, and were quite close to the famous city. I was really excited to see it for the first time after all my mother had told us about it. I really hoped that it lived up to the expectations, which were quite low, because I had never actually seen a castle, or main city, in real life.

We came over the hill and there it was, a beautiful large white stone castle, standing tall, above the trees. It looked so majestic, just like mother had always described it to me. I looked over at Merlin, and he smiled at me, clearly as eager as me to get into the city and start exploring. I grabbed his hand and we started to make our way into the city.

We went through the town and into the square. There seemed to be many people gathered there, so we went to investigate. I saw that there was some sort of wooden platform in the middle of them. Merlin and I moved so we could see through the crowd. There was a small noise and a man was brought towards us. Then a man who was standing on a balcony spoke. He had a crown, and was older, so I presumed that it was through the King.

"Let this serve as a lesson to all. This man, Thomas James Collins, is adjudged guilty of conspiring to use enchantments and magic. And, pursuant to the laws of Camelot, I, Uther Pendragon, have decreed that such practices are banned on penalty of death. I pride myself as a fair and just king, but for the crime of sorcery, there is but one sentence I can pass." I looked up as he spoke to the crowds. The King raised his arm, and an axe was lifted. I gasped as I realised what was about to happen. I grasped onto Merlin's shirt and buried my head in his shoulder. That could be Merlin if we weren't careful here.

"When I came to this land, this kingdom was mired in chaos, but with the people's help magic was driven from the realm. So I declare a festival to celebrate twenty years since the Great Dragon was captured and Camelot freed from the evil of sorcery. Let the celebrations begin." He said, not caring that someone had just been killed by his hand. I felt Merlin tug me away from the scene, knowing that I had been affected by what I had seen. We began to walk away, but there was a wail coming from the other side of the square. I saw there was an old woman, who was crying, and also sending nasty looks towards the King.

"There is only one evil in this land, and it is not magic! It is you! With your hatred and your ignorance! You took my son! And I promise you, before these celebrations are over, you will share my tears. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a son for a son." I gasped at her words, and felt sorry for the woman. She had lost her son because of Uther, I could see why she was distraught, but I feared that this may get her killed too. Uther ordered his guards to seize her, but she whispered something under her breath, and disappeared in a flash of smoke.

I turned, not wanting to watch anymore, and pulled Merlin with me. We started walking through the castle, trying to find Gaius's quarters, and Merlin ended up asking a guard, who pointed us in the right direction. We walked up a few steps and there was a slightly open door. Merlin peeked inside and called for the physician, when no reply came, he went in, and I followed after. I looked around the room, to find it was covered in scientific equipment. There were bottles of liquid and herbs everywhere, and a rather messy desk that was covered in scrolls. There was a small bed in the corner and another room off this one. Then I saw there was a bookcase, and some stairs leading to it, and looking through it was an old man.

I nudged Merlin and pointed to him. He called his name again, in the correct direction, startling the man. This caused him to fall off the stand, breaking the rail. I covered my mouth with my hand, preparing for the worst, when suddenly the bed had moved and was underneath him. My eyes flickered to Merlin, who nodded slightly, telling me it was him who had done that. Gaius stood quickly and walked towards us. "What did you just do?" He asked us. I shrugged my shoulders, as Merlin tried to come up with an excuse without revealing his magic. "I- I- I have no idea what happened." He managed to stutter out finally, but I could tell that Gaius wasn't being fooled, Merlin was never the best liar.