Chapter 16 - Le Morte d'Arthur

I busied myself with chores for Gaius as I worried about my brother and Arthur. Merlin had told me earlier that he and Arthur were going on a hunt, which had sent a shock of pain through my back, which had been constant for the past few hours. I just had a feeling that something really bad was going to happen. There was no way that something good would come of this, whenever they left, something went wrong.

And I hadn't had my pain for a few weeks, so I was really on edge. I'd told Gaius, but he said nothing was different about me. He thought that maybe I had just grown out of it, but the aching I was feeling right now proved him wrong. So I distracted myself with chores for my mentor, and completing easy tasks that I knew I could do. So I made Morgana's sleeping tonic, as I knew her nightmares had been getting worse.

Then I started walking back through the castle towards Morgana's room, hoping that the King's Ward and her handmaiden could cheer me up. Although as I was walking I could feel my back getting worse. I rushed quickly towards Morgana's chambers, wanting to just get back to my chambers now and ask Gaius if I could have a rest.

I walked through the door to Morgana's chambers and smiled at Gwen who was remaking Morgana's bed sheets from this morning. I placed the tonic on the bedside table. "Good morning Amara." Gwen said, and I turned to her, trying to smile slightly. I then went over to where the seats were in her room and sat down, trying to get off my feet to give my back a break. "Is everything alright Amara?" I heard Gwen asked, and I nodded my head, but everything started going quiet.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Morgana enter the room, but I couldn't hear anything she was saying. My brain seemed to go fuzzy and I couldn't hear anything and everything went blurry.

Then all of a sudden I closed my eyes and everything went dark. I could feel my body falling but I didn't know what else was going on. I could hear someone calling out, and the light sound of boots crunching against leaves. I heard someone calling a name, but it was too far away for me to make out what was going on, before all of a sudden it became louder.

"Do you have any natural gifts Merlin?" I heard a voice that I recognised as Arthur's, say. What was going on, why could I hear him? I didn't know if this was what is going to happen, or what has happened?

"No. Well let me think. I'm not naturally rude or insensitive." Merlin said, and I smiled at the friendly banter between the two, even though I could only hear them, not see them. "Just naturally irritating." I heard the Prince say and I giggled, before the happy emotion was wiped from me. I heard a loud scream that I was fortunate enough not to recognise, but it was followed by loud shouts that I couldn't make out and the clear sound of lots of feet running through the woods. Then the sounds disappeared and there was was darkness.

I slowly opened my eyes and noticed that I was in my chambers again. I groaned slightly and sat up, wincing at the extreme pain in my back, which subsided after a few seconds. I shook my head, trying to get my vision back to normal, and when it did I carefully stood up from where I was. Saw that my book was lying open on my bedside table, with the newest date in there in Gaius's handwriting. I grabbed the pen that was next to it and tried to write down what I had heard from my brother and the prince, but it was all a little fuzzy due to the headache that pulsed through the back of my head.

I put the notebook back down and walked into the main room of the chambers. I looked over to see that Gaius was in there, and he looked up at me as I came in. "Amara! Are you alright?" He asked in a rushed voice. I nodded my head slowly and looked around. "Where's Merlin, I would have thought he'd be back by now." I said, not seeing my brother. Seeing as I'd passed out I would have thought he'd have been right by my side.

"I'm not sure, I think I heard horses not that long ago, but it's you I'm worried about. Gwen said that you had just passed out in Lady Morgana's chambers. Was it your back?" He asked me, and I nodded, not wanting to worry Gaius with the strange words I had heard.