Chapter 5 - The Poisoned Chalice

I smiled at Merlin as he walked into Gaius's chambers at the end of the day. He groaned and plonked himself into the chair opposite me. I giggled, "Okay, what did Arthur have you do today?" I asked, knowing that Merlin would tell me whether or not I asked. "I had to clean every inch of his chambers, apparently there's a visiting kingdom that Camelot's been fighting with, and everything needs to be perfect. It's not as though they're going to see inside the Prince's room!" Merlin exclaimed and I chuckled.

"Well, Merlin, I think you should be honoured that he hasn't fired you yet, and knowing every nook and cranny of the Prince's room may come in useful one day, you never know." I said, and Merlin smiled at me sarcastically. I shook my head at him, before getting up and going to our room.

The next morning Merlin was up early because he had to be there when Arthur and Uther greeted the guests from Mercia. I got up and got ready, I ate my breakfast and grabbed a basket, noticing that some of Gaius's herbs were running low. "Gaius, I'm just going to re-fill some of the herb supplies." I said, to the old man who was working on a pain remedy. He nodded and I began to leave, but he stopped me.

"Oh, Amara, don't come back too late, there's a feast tonight and I wish for you to attend with me." My heart sank slightly, I hated being around nobles, especially in an environment where they were so comfortable. However, I wanted to please Gaius so I nodded, confirming that I wouldn't be too late, and that I would attend with him.

That's why I found myself trying to find a suitable dress to wear. I was rooting through everything when Merlin came in. "Woah, what happened here?" He asked, pausing in the doorway. "I can't find anything to wear." I said, sighing. Merlin chuckled and shook his head at me. "What! It's a very important feast, and unlike you I'm not going as a servant, people may actually talk to me!" I said, really stressing about it. Merlin gave me a sympathetic smile and hugged me.

"How about that nice blue one mother made you a few years ago, it should fit you by now." He said, and I gasped. I had completely forgotten that I'd brought that dress. I kissed Merlin's cheek and went into my bag to grab it. I pulled it out and hurriedly got into it. I didn't bother styling my hair, I just made sure that it looked presentable.

Once I was finished looking in the mirror I turned back around and saw that Merlin was wearing the most ridiculous outfit

Once I was finished looking in the mirror I turned back around and saw that Merlin was wearing the most ridiculous outfit. I immediately burst out laughing, and Merlin groaned. "I look terrible." He said, and I stood up, trying to look serious, and shook my head. "You look great Merlin!" I said, before I heard Gaius call my name. I smiled at Merlin and giggled as I walked out the room. "Amara you look great, are you ready to go?" Gaius asked and I nodded, so we left, heading towards the Main Hall.

Once we got there, it was already abuzz with movement, and a few people came over to Gaius and I to talk. Most of the time I just listened to conversations rather than saying anything, but a few of the knights said hello. I soon noticed that Gwen and Morgana were talking on the other side of the hall, so I excused myself and made my way over the two girls who were quickly becoming my best friends.