Interlude - The Prince

A/N: Between every chapter I do based on the Tv series there will be an interlude, just to break things up a little bit. Some episodes will also be split into multiple chapters because otherwise they will get too long.

I continued to run errands for Gaius while I stayed in Camelot, considering Merlin now spent all his days trailing after Arthur. I made sure his stocks were full, and I was happy that I got to deliver Morgana's sleeping draught whenever she needed it. I had become closer with Gwen, and we spoke whenever we saw each other in the corridor, her always sparking up the conversation. Today I was delivering some pain relief to one of the knights as he'd been injured in training.

I was just going back to Gaius when I bumped into something, again. This time I managed to stay on my feet, only stumbling back a few steps. I heard a chuckle and looked up to see Prince Arthur. I blushed and bowed my head slightly. "We should both start looking where we're going." He said. I smiled gently, still nervous about being so close to the prince. "I don't think I introduced myself last time. I'm Prince Arthur of Camelot." He said to me. I nodded my head, knowing that was who he was, but stopped, because he may think that I was being rude.

"I'm Amara." I said in a small voice. I looked down at my feet, and was surprised when a hand was stuck towards me. I looked to the prince in shock, not entirely sure why he wanted to shake a random commoner's hand. But he was the prince so I took his hand and shook it gently. Then we fell into a comfortable silence, I was occasionally looking up at him.

I don't know how long we stood there, but it was long enough for me to start feeling awkward. I was about to leave, when I heard some crashes coming from the other end of the corridor. Both the prince and I turned to see that Merlin was bumbling down the hall, a basket of clothes in his hands. "Merlin! What are you doing!" Arthur yelled at him, while I tried to contain my giggles. "Well, you told me to wash your clothes." He said, reaching us. "Yes, I said wash my clothes, not bumble around with them."

I let out a small giggle and Merlin turned to me. "Oh, shut up 'Mara." He hissed in my direction, but I knew he was just joking around. "Oh, do you two know each other?" Arthur asked, his voice calmer than before. I nodded my head, turning shy again, so Merlin decided to give him a proper answer. "Yeah, she's my sister." He said, and Arthur raised his eyebrows in suspicion. "Oh, I'm very sorry Amara, I would hate to have an idiot for a brother." Arthur said, smirking at Merlin, who glared lightly at the prince.

I just blushed and looked at my feet, "It's not that bad." I mumbled under my breath. Merlin and Arthur both chuckled at my words, Merlin's being more relieved than Arthur's, which was an actual laugh. There was another short pause of awkward silence before the prince spoke up. "Well, I have to get going, Merlin, you need to polish my armour before this afternoon. It was nice to meet you properly Amara, I'll see you around." I nodded gently, and Merlin huffed under his breath.

Arthur put his hand on my shoulder, and I gasped at the immense pain that was sent between my shoulders. I shied away from his touch and into Merlin. That was the most pain I had ever had, and my body was struggling to cope with it. Why was it when I was around Arthur that I had such immense pain, last time I hadn't felt it as much at the time, because I'd also hurt my hands and bum from falling over, but I could tell from how it felt afterwards that there was more pain.

It took a few seconds but the pain eventually dulled enough for me to feel better, and stand up straight, but there was still pain. I opened my eyes again, and saw that the basket of clothes had now been deposited on the floor, and Merlin's arms were wrapped around me. I was also surprised to see that the prince was still there, looking at me with concern. "I don't understand, what happened? It wasn't me, was it?" He asked my brother, a confused look on his face.

"No, it's fine, she has these flashes of pain, you just happened to touch her at the wrong time, that's the reason she came, to see if Gaius could tell what was wrong." Merlin said, knowing I wouldn't want to talk. "Well, I'll get someone else to do my laundry, Merlin, take her to Gaius, and then you can get on with my armour." Arthur said, before walking off, looking back again, once he reached the end of the corridor, and disappearing.

Merlin stood there for a few seconds, before we both walked back to Gaius's chambers. "I don't understand Arthur, I ask for a minute break and he gives me more work, but my sister has a small pain and I have to drop everything and make sure she's okay." Merlin complained as we walked. I giggled under my breath. "Well, he obviously just likes me better than you, although I am not sure why he was so concerned, that was only the second time we've spoken."

Merlin rolled his eyes. "You've always had that effect on men, trust me." He moaned under his breath, and I rolled my eyes. Merlin was under the impression that every man I met trusted me, and cared for me as though they had known me for years. He said it was because of my beauty and innocent look. I understood my innocence, my face still looked very young, because I hadn't matured entirely, only being seventeen, but I don't understand where he got beauty from, I've never been vaguely pretty, and I tried telling him that, but he never listened, so I just accepted it now.

I was brought out of my thoughts by Merlin opening the door to Gaius's chambers. We went in, and he turned to face us. "Merlin, I wasn't expecting to see you, does Arthur need something from you." We both shared a smile, and I waited for Merlin to say something. "'Mara had her pain for the day, and Arthur was there, so he asked me to bring her to you."

He said, Gaius nodded and sat me down on one of the chairs. Merlin then left to finish his chores and Gaius asked me a few questions and prodded around, but still couldn't come up with anything that could cause the pain in my back.