Chapter 15 - To Kill the King

I woke up with a start, my pain flying through my back. I gasped lightly at the pain, trying to keep the noise down so I didn't wake my brother up. I took a few deep breaths and the pain disappeared. I turned to look at my brother and saw that he was awake. "Merlin." I whispered, and he whipped around to face me. "'Mara, I didn't wake you up did I?" He asked, and I shook my head.

"My back woke me." I said, and my brother nodded. I sat up in bed, and he did the same. I watched him carefully as he thought deeply about something. "You alright, Merlin?" I asked, getting worried about his far-off look. He turned his head to me and nodded, but then opened his mouth and started talking. "No, I felt something. Here in Camelot. Powerful magic." He said, and I furrowed my eyebrows. I pulled out my little book and documented when my pain was, and also that Merlin had felt strong magic when I'd had it.

We then decided to get up and get ready for the day as there was no way either of us were going back to sleep. We headed down to the main chambers and I started eating the breakfast Gaius had laid out for us, while Merlin talked with Gaius about the magic he had felt in Camelot. I didn't pay much attention as I already knew what was going on. I finished my breakfast, and then checked Gaius's supplies, noticing that a few were low, but I wouldn't need to go out to the woods for a few more days.

I then turned to Gaius and was about to ask him if there was anything he wanted me to do, as he had finished his conversation with my brother, who was now eating his breakfast. However, I was distracted when Gwen ran in. "Gwen. What's wrong?" I questioned, as she looked rather distressed. "My father's been arrested." She said, and I immediately went over and wrapped my arms around her, trying to provide some comfort.

"Arrested? For what?" Merlin asked, and I looked at the girl who was in my arms as she answered. "They say he was making weapons for a sorcerer! They're charging him with treason!" She cried, and my heart went out to her. "Gwen, we'll do something. I promise." I said, sharing a knowing look with Merlin. "I have to go find Arthur. I'll try to talk to him." Merlin said, giving Gwen a quick hug, before waking out.

"Come on Gwen, let's sit down." I said, leading her to the bench. We sat down and I comforted her for a little while. "Why don't we go down to the dungeons so you can find her father." Gaius said, and I silently agreed with him. The three of us walked down to the dungeons and we let Gwen speak with her father alone. Soon enough Merlin came over and stood with us.

"Arthur's in a meeting with his father and Morgana, I don't know how long they've been in there, or when they'll come out." He said, before leaning against the railing. We waited in silence for a short while longer before Gwen came back, and we asked her what he had said.

"He said Tauren came to him at the forge, offered to pay him a fortune for his help, not to make weapons, for an experiment or something." She recounted, and I shared a look with my brother. "What kind of experiment?" I asked quietly, curious about it, but not wanting to upset her. "Tauren didn't say. But he used some kind of stone...some kind of magic..." She said, and I sighed. That must have been what Merlin had felt.

The four of us walked back to Gaius's chambers and then we split. Gaius went on his usual rounds to the Lower Town. Merlin went to go complete his chores for Arthur, and I stayed in the chambers with Gwen. We did that for the rest of the day, until the four of us were back in Gaius's chambers. I noticed Gwen was yawning, so I took her up to our room and watched as she fell asleep.

I could hear Merlin and Gaius talking in the other room, but I didn't want to leave Gwen. I picked up a book from my bedside table and started to read, before I felt myself slipping into sleep.

The next morning I let Gwen sleep for a bit longer and grabbed a basket to go and collect herbs for Gaius. As I was walking through the castle I saw that Morgana was walking towards me. I smiled at her and came to a stop as I saw her. "Morgana. Are you alright?" I asked, noticing the dark circles under her eyes. She nodded halfheartedly, and spoke in a whisper. "I'm just going to see Gwen." I nodded, and let her go.