Chapter 11 - Excalibur

I smiled as I slipped into the beautiful dress that Morgana and Gwen had given me. I still couldn't get over the feeling of the soft fabric and the way it clung to just the right places on my body. I began to wonder how much money they must have spent on this, but shook the thought from my mind. I went over to the small mirror that hung in my room and began to try and do something slightly fancy with my hair.

I was glad that Merlin was preparing Arthur, as he would have laughed at me for the strange noises that escaped my mouth as I began to tug at my hair to make it look decent. When I was happy with it, I grabbed a small red flower and placed it in my hair. I then went down into the main room and saw that Gaius was waiting for me. He looked up as I walked down and smiled at me.

We both made our way through the corridors and into the Main Hall where the ceremony would take place. Gaius and I made our way to where we would be standing and I looked around the room. As I was scanning I caught a glimpse of Merlin and Gwen, who were standing near the back of the room. I smiled at the two of them, and Merlin looked at me, his mouth slightly open. I shook my head slightly as Gwen gave me a small thumbs up.

The big oak doors opened and Morgana walked in, looking absolutely amazing. As she stood in front of her throne, her eye caught mine and she winked at me. I blushed, and kept my eyes down as the King walked in. Arthur was the final person to enter the hall and the ceremony began. He knelt down in front of his father and pledged his loyalty to the kingdom. Then after some more promises a gold circlet was placed on his head and he stood up as his father announced him to the room.

"Now being of age and heir apparent, from henceforth, you shall be Crown Prince of Camelot." Uther said, and Arthur turned to face us all. The room burst into applause and I clapped along with them. Arthur's eyes scanned the room, slowing down slightly when his eyes met my own. I smiled gently at him, showing him that I was happy for him.

While everyone was celebrating and cheering for Arthur I got distracted by a growing pain coursing through my back, I hadn't noticed it at first, but it was getting stronger by the second, and it took everything in me not to gasp.

All of a sudden there was a loud crash and a sharp pain hit me. I let out a gasp, but it was masked by the shock of everyone else in the room. I whipped myself around, wincing slightly as it hurt my back. I saw that the large windows in the room had been smashed, and a black-armoured knight on a horse was standing in the middle of the room. The horse trotted towards Arthur and took off it's gauntlet, throwing it down in front of the newly crowned prince.

My heart clenched, I had read enough books about knights to know this meant that he was challenging him to a duel. I took a few deep breaths as Arthur stepped forward, but before he could pick up the gauntlet another knight stepped forward and grabbed it. "I, Sir Olwin, accept your challenge." He said, and I looked at the black knight, waiting for it to respond.

"Single combat. Noon tomorrow. To the death." He said, before riding out the broken window that it came through. My heart started racing as everyone in the room began to get over the shock over what had just happened. As Gaius, Merlin and I walked back to our chambers I didn't pay attention to their conversation, falling behind them slightly.

"Amara!" I heard someone call from behind me. I looked ahead of me and saw that Gaius and Merlin had already entered the chambers. I turned around and was surprised to find the prince coming over to me. "Hi." He said, as he reached. "Hi." I said, slightly uncomfortable after what had just happened in the hall. "You look great." Arthur said, clearing his throat slightly.

I blushed and looked down at my feet, thanking him quietly. I heard someone call his name, and then looked up at him. "I guess I have to, umm... thank you for coming today." He said, before running off. I watched as he turned the corner, before turning and walking straight through Gaius's chambers and to my own room. I got changed and by the time I Merlin came up here I was laying silently in bed, trying to go to sleep.