Interlude - Guardian Angels

I flipped a few pages in the book that I was currently reading when Gaius walked back into the room. He had been out delivering some tonics in the lower town. "Is there anything else you need me to do Gaius?" I asked him, looking up from my book. "No, we should be done for the day." He said, and I smiled at him.

I went back to reading, and I saw that he began preparing dinner for us. I continued to read, before I realised that I had a question that I'd been trying to find the answer to, and Gaius may just have the answer. "Gaius," I started, getting the man's attention, as he turned to face me, "I came across this term about a week ago in a book. It spoke about a Guardian Angel. I've looked all through the library, but nothing I find seems to have any other information. Is there anything you could tell me?" I asked cautiously.

Gaius looked slightly shocked at the request, but came over and sat next to me. "Well many people who practice magic believe that every kingdom has its own Guardian Angel who knows when they are in danger, and will provide magical help. There are different views on who these angels are. The Old Religion believed that they were chosen by a higher being, but the Druids say that they are chosen from birth. Obviously there has been no evidence of one for decades as many kingdoms have banished magic after the Purge." He explained and I nodded, thanking him.

He went back to preparing dinner and I sat there thinking about what he had told me. I wondered if Camelot had a Guardian Angel. It certainly needed one with the amount of trouble that was caused here. I also thought about what Gaius said about how they were chosen. If they were chosen from birth it must have been horrible for them to have that responsibility pressed into them.

I was brought out of my thoughts by the door opening, and I looked up, expecting it was Merlin, but it was Sir Leon. "Gaius, there's been a small wound out on the training ground." He said, and the man nodded, but then turned his attention to me. "Amara will go with you." He said, and I nodded slightly, before quickly grabbing a few bandages and tonics. I then walked over to Leon and he led the way through the castle.

Once we reached the training grounds I saw that one of the men was holding his arm. "Here." Leon said, and I sat in front of the man. I smiled up at him, and he gave me a weak smile. He looked pretty young, and I think he was only knighted recently. "Hello, my name's Amara, I'm going to help you. I need you to move your hand so I can look at your wound." I said in a soft voice, trying not to scare him too much.

He slowly removed his hand, and I sat up, looking at the wound. I rummaged through my bag and pulled out a pain numbing paste. "This may sting slightly." I said, and the knight nodded. I carefully placed the paste around his small wound. He inhaled sharply, but made no other signs he was in pain. I then looked closer at the wound, knowing that it wasn't going to hurt him as much.

"I'm going to need you to take your shirt off so I can clean and bandage the wound." I said in a small voice, and I stood up. The knight nodded, and tried to take his shirt off, squirming around in discomfort. Leon stepped forwards and helped the young man out of the shirt. I then went back to his wound and began to clean it gently. There were a few hisses of pain from the knight, but other than that he showed no sign of pain.

After that I got out a bandage and wrapped it carefully around his upper arm. "Okay, you will need to have the bandages changed everyday for a few days. You can do it yourself if you wish, or come and see either me or Gaius." I said, standing up. I looked through my bag and pulled out a bottle. "This is for pain relief, don't drink it all at once." I said, handing him the bottle.

"Will he need to miss out on any training?" Leon asked, and I looked at the older knight. "I'd leave it to rest for today, if it feels better tomorrow he can participate, just be careful." I said, and they both thanked me. I started to walk away, when I heard someone call out for me to wait. I turned around and saw that it was the young knight.

"Thank you again. I really appreciate it. I'm Sir Evan." He said, holding his hand out to me. I took it and shook his hand. "You're very welcome, but next time keep your eye on the opponents eyes as well as their blade, it could tell you what they're going to do." I said, and the knight looked at me confused. "How do you know that?" He asked, and I chuckled slightly.

"My brother is Prince Arthur's manservant, so I've picked up a few things from either watching them train, or my brother complaining about the Prince being unfair to him." I said, and the knight nodded. I smiled and then walked away from the young man, and went back to Gaius's chambers for dinner.