Chapter 3 - The Mark of Nimue (Part 1)

I smiled at some of the villagers passing by me as Merlin, Gauis, and I walked through the lower town. Merlin wasn't needed this morning, because Arthur was with the knights, so the three of us took the opportunity to get out of the castle, and also collect some things from the lower town that Gaius had been meaning to get for some time.

I had continued to study Gaius's books and we now worked very well as a team. I had always had a very good memory, so I could identify a problem with someone very quickly, and then Gaius would set out making a remedy or tonic for them. I had made a few simple tonics, but only the bare essentials that Gaius needed to always have in stock. Gaius was very proud of the quick progress I'd made, and also found that I was very good at calming patients, where he wasn't the best. He could be a little blunt at times, and he said that I had a very calming voice and seemed to make his patients less stressed, which had great healing properties on it's own.

I was brought out of my thoughts by us coming to a man's body being splayed on the path. The three of us quickly rushed over and when we turned him over I saw that he was light blue, and all the veins on his face were white. It wasn't the most pleasant sight. Gaius moved closer to get a better look at the man, I would've gone too, but Gaius was better at spotting these types of things than I was, he was also more practiced at it. "Aren't you scared of catching whatever it is?" My brother said, staying away from the man, looking nervous.

I rolled my eyes, he would be the worst physician. "I'm the court physician, Merlin. This is part of my job. Most of the time there's nothing really to be scared of." Gaius said. I nodded to Merlin and moved slightly closer to the body. It really didn't look like anything I'd read about. I racked my memories and I knew that there wasn't any other book in Gaius's chambers about skin diseases that I hadn't read. "Gaius, we should get out of the streets, if people see this, they may panic and think it's magic." I said, close to Gaius.

He looked at me and nodded. I looked around the areas and saw that there was a wheelbarrow by the side. "Merlin, grab that wheelbarrow." I said, pointing to it. He looked at me for a few seconds, in complete shock and confusion. "What?" He said. "We have to get him back to Gauis's chambers to try see if there's some natural cause to this, and I don't know about you, but I'm certainly not carrying him by hand." I said, giving him an unimpressed look. He looked at me sheepishly and went over to the wheelbarrow, and together we managed to get the body onto it.

As we were going through the courtyard I noticed that Gwen was on the other side, walking from another entrance towards the castle. She was probably on her way to the castle to help Morgana. I noticed that she had a bunch of flowers in her hands, most likely for Morgana's room. I smiled at her as she noticed us and came over. She gave me a wide smile and I smiled gently back at her. "What are you both doing?" She asked, looking over our shoulders slightly at the wheelbarrow. "Erm..." Merlin struggled to get any words out and looked at me for some help.

"We're just moving something, for Gaius." I said, motioning to the older man besides me, and chuckling nervously. "Looks quite heavy." She said, peering further round. I noticed there was a hand sticking out and I turned to Merlin. I sent him a look that said I needed him to distract her, and he understood, because he started asking about the flowers she was carrying. We'd always had this thing, where we understood if the other was trying to convey a message. I turned and lifted the man's hand onto the wood and covered it with the sheet.

"Bye. Bye, Amara." I looked up at the mention of my name and saw that Gwen was leaving. I nodded to her in response and she walked away from us. "Thanks Merlin." I said, and he turned around. I covered my mouth in an attempt to hide my laugh. He now had a purple flower nestled in his neckerchief. He looked at me and blushed. He was about to remove the flower but I batted his hand away. "Leave it, you look great." I said and he smiled. We went back to Gaius's chambers and moved the body into it.