Chapter 8

Police and ambulances shortly arrived. They forced down the door, guns at hand, wary of danger. When they made sure everything was clear, they gathered Danny and Peter on stretchers, shoving them into the ambulance and hooking them up to equipment. The ambulance workers did all they could, supplying oxygen masks and AED's. Neither of the victims looked well. Eventually both their hearts stopped. "Quick hand me the pads!" One of the workers yelled and grabbed them. "Charging.. Clear!" The worker yelled. The two workers were both trying to save their lives. They quickly arrived at the hospital and got them out of the ambulance and rushed them into the hospital quickly bringing them to the emergency room and quickly tried to save them.

 Danny was considered dead for a few minutes. His heart beat was irregular for quite some time but they eventually got his heart beating which was a huge relief. Peter didn't have Danny's luck; his severe injuries were too much, and, through it all, he remained as still as ever. A funeral director was called, and that was the last time Danny heard of Peter. They needed to do everything they could to save Danny now. With hours and hours of working they saved him. They stitched his wounds up and bandaged him up and brought him into a room to recover. Sadly they had to bring Peter to the morgue. 

Back at Alice's home..

It was around 2am as she waited for Danny to text her back, he usually did right away. Her message said it was read. "That's weird.." she thought but she just assumed he fell asleep. Unable to wait any longer, she took her yawning as a sign. Putting her phone on charge, she flicked off the lights and headed to sleep. A few hours went by, and she was woken up to her phone going off like crazy. A million phone calls and texts from her friends. "Are you okay??" "Are you still at Danny's??" "Did you hear??" "Is everything okay??" "Answer the phone!" Were some of the many messages she was getting.

 "What the.." she questioned, rubbing at her eyes. Turning on her lights, she was met with a clear name written across her screen: Gabby. Her best friend was calling. She answered the phone call and the sound of Gabby's anxious voice was heard.

 "Thank god you're okay!! Where are you?? What happened??" she asked her.

 "Gabby what are you talking about?" she asked her.

 "Oh my god.. You haven't heard???" she asked.

 "Heard what..?" she asked. "Turn on the News!! Right now!! Channel 6!!" She told her.

 "I know the channel," she replied grabbing the remote and turning on the news. Danny's home flashed on the screen, surrounded by a swarm of reporters and police officers. Being rich and popular, it wasn't unusual for Danny and Peter to be on the news-- but not because of a break in. "According to policeman/eyewitnesses, a gunman shot two boys in their home. He managed to flee the scene but was quickly caught and is now undergoing prosecution." As the reporter commented, the shooters face came on the screen. The man was a white male, it looked like he was in his late 20s and he had a tattoo just above his eyebrow.

 "Alice?? Alice are you there??" Gabby asked. Shocked, Alice's phone slipped from her hand, she couldn't react or even think.

Hanging up on Gabby, Alice immediately snatched up her keys. She pulled on her boots, disregarding anything or everything else, rushed to the car and sped off.  She passed by Danny's home and saw all the cops and news reporters.

 "This has to be a dream..." she told herself and quickly sped to the hospital. She quickly parked her car and turned it off and ran inside the hospital. She ran up to the front desk really out of breath. "I... I'm looking for my boyfriend... And... And his brother... Gun shots.. They..." She tried to form a sentence but she was very out of breath.

 "Ma'am take a breather.." the receptionist told her. "What's the last name?" she asked. 

"Carter... Danny and Peter Carter" she told the receptionist in a shaky voice. 

"It looks like they're still in surgery. It should be sometime before you hear anything.." The receptionist explained.

 Alice sighed in frustration and sat down in the waiting room. She just wanted them to be okay. Now that she was sitting there waiting, it finally hit her. Her boyfriend could be dead. Tears went down her face, and her heart felt like it was in her throat. It felt like she has been waiting for so long. Hours went by, and a doctor finally came out.

 "Is anyone here for Danny and Peter Carter?" the doctor asked and Alice jumped out of her seat.

 "Me! I am! Are they okay??"  she asked anxiously.

 "Are you a family member?" the doctor asked. 

"No, I'm Danny's girlfriend.. They don't have family.. They lived in foster homes." she explained steadily. Despite the 'only family members can know' rule, Alice was told the details.

 "Danny was badly injured. He was shot in the shoulder, stomach, and back. He went into cardiac arrest, but survived. He'll be fine." Upon hearing the doctors words, Alice sighed with relief, feeling the stress melt away.

 "Oh, thank god!" Alice exhaled, but her peace was cut short.

"But.." the doctor started to speak. 

"But what?" she asked. 

The doctor continued. "Peter wasn't as lucky."

"What? He's dead?" she replied. A hand flew to her mouth, muffling her cries. Tears spilled from her eyes. Sure, she was always closer to Danny, but Peter was still a close friend. They were a group, a trio, and always stuck together. 

"Danny is recovering, now," he added ignoring Alice. "He's on painkillers if you want to see him, he'll be in room 358." Alice bid a thanks and a farewell, then rushed towards Danny's new room.