Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Tatiana

"Here, let me." Ramsey said, beating her to grabbing a chair on one of the outdoor tables. He pulled it out for her, gesturing for her to sit down.

A small smile played on her lips. "Thank you." The gesture was unnecessary, but still appreciated.

Ramsey always was the perfect gentleman.

He made sure she was settled in before taking the seat across from her. Somewhere nearby, she could feel the stares of Keith and that of his guards drilling holes into her head.

As promised, they gave them some privacy and a chance to talk. They were seated in one of the tables of Café Aroma that allowed for a clear view of the two, the chill air of the darkening sky wrapping around them like a second skin.

Tatiana wished she had brought herself a jacket.

"Would you like anything to eat?" Ramsey asked.

She shook her head. "No, I think I'll just have some water." She said, not really in the mood to eat after the mountains of delicacies she and Keith had glutted themselves earlier. Besides, she had a feeling that their discussion wouldn't offer, nor allow her the luxury to be able to stomach the café's goods.

Ramsey raised a hand and immediately one of the waiters approached. He spoke before the waiter could ask for their order. "We'll just be having water, thank you."

The waiter, a gangly teen with unruly mouse-brown hair and thick glasses, chewed on his lip nervously. "I'm sorry, we're not allowed to let people stay unless they order something off the menu," He fidgeted with a thick menu in his hands, as if ready to hand it to them, but decided against it. "I'm going to have to ask you to lea—"

Ramsey waved him off. "Never mind." He produced a bill from his person, a significant sum from the looks of the waiter. "We'll pay for our time here. Please tell your manager that if there are issues with seating more people that I am willing to pay more if need be." He added, a very generous gesture. There were, indeed, many patrons in the café right now. It was dusk, so plenty of the tourists and people in general were hurrying into establishments for a bite to eat.

The waiter—by the name of Adam, according to his slightly askew name tag—opened his mouth uncertainly like a fish out of water before taking the bill from Ramsey's outstretched hand.

"O-okay." He gulped. "I'll be right back with your water." He said and scurried away.

She tried to hide a small smile behind her hand, but failed miserably since Ramsey noticed.

A small smile played on his face, a result of the smile on her lips that he missed dearly. "What?"

"He reminds me a little of you when we were his age." She said, trying to keep the laughter out of her voice.

Ramsey raised a brow. "Gangly with two left feet?"

"Hey," She called him out on his insult to both himself, and Adam. "It's endearing."

He let out a small chuckle just as Adam returned with their glasses of water.

"Whatever you say." Ramsey said placatingly as Adam set down their glasses and quickly left them by themselves.

Tatiana still had a smile playing on her lips as she lifted the glass by the tips of her fingers and took a small sip—but that soon disappeared as soon as she tasted the lemony hint of the beverage. It was because she knew, that the moment she set it back down on the table, Ramsey was going to ask questions, and she was going to find herself in the middle of a discussion she wasn't sure she was ready to talk about herself.