Chapter 8

It's update day! Russian Bastard is currently at 200+ votes! So here's this week's goal: if we can get it to 300 votes I'll update another chapter early ;)

lots of love<3

Chapter 8

Zeke

His eyes snapped towards his father. Next to him, Francesco's head whipped around so fast to face their father that he felt like his brother almost snapped his neck.

"Father..." Francesco cautioned but father waved him off.

"It seems like we will be working closely for this investigation. It would be best if we pooled our resources together to deal with this as quickly as possible," their father said. "We can have a formal contract drawn."

Francesco visibly relaxed when it was clear father wasn't about to propose an arranged marriage. He had been worrying the last few years if he would arrange him with a powerful man's daughter—rich but a stranger. He had Bianca to think about. But as heir, he knew he had to have an advantageous marriage. Rarely anyone in the mafia married out of love. The ones that do were the lucky ones. Francesco dearly hoped that he'd be one of the lucky few.

Antonio pondered over it for a moment before nodding. "Agreed."

Their father smiled, pleased. "Wonderful. I'll have my lawyers draw up a contract and send them over."

"I'd also like to discuss Tatiana's safety. Rest assured that I will handle the incompetence of the men in my security team, but really, some of the guards that were with Tatiana did not protect her as they should have," Father continued and unintentionally got on Antonio's nerves. Zeke saw his fist clench.

"I shall personally see to the matter," Antonio said in a neutral tome that did not reflect his tense pose.

Father nodded sympathetically. "I'm sure you will but please don't think me rude, I'd also like to contribute to her safety since she is the daughter of a very dear friend of mine," he said, gesturing to Agnieska who sat beside Tatiana.

"Really, there's no need, Mr. Vasiliev. I can handle myself," Tatiana murmured her protest, though Zeke couldn't help but notice her tiredness and lack of conviction.

Father looked directly at her. "Your safety is just as important to me as that of your family." His eyes darted pointedly to her mother. "I'd like for you to hide away for a few days, if your parents agree. Antonio would, of course, send some security but I will also be sending some of my best men, along with my son, Zeke."

Zeke narrowed his eyes at his father, still suspicious, but did not object. They had discussed this earlier, long before Agnieska had arrived and Tatiana had gained consciousness. They feared that there would be more attempts on Tatiana's life and therefore planned to hide her away and he was sending him with her. He didn't know why but he had an inkling his father was trying to play matchmaker. And he didn't object. He wasn't against spending a few weeks with a beautiful woman.

They looked to Antonio and Agnieska. They were looking at each other, communicating through their eyes. Agnieska nodded at him.

Antonio turned to them. "Fine," he agreed.

Tatiana began to object. "Really, father, this isn't--"

"Please, Tiana, do this for your safety," Antonio implored her. "You know I would never do something like this unless it was absolutely necessary."

Tatiana only nodded her understanding.

"We can discuss this further once we've all gotten some rest. It has been a trying evening," Pavel said, standing up. "You are welcome to stay, of course. We have accommodations prepared in the East Wing."