Chapter 21

*ahem* we reached the vote goal 3 hours before the weekly update schedule resets I'm lmfao-- technically it still counts so tysm!

So lots of things happening in this chapter-- we see a little into Zeke's past and we're gonna meet the infamous fiancé ;)

Lots of love<3

Chapter 21

Zeke

A knock sounded through the room and the door to his bedroom opened to reveal his father.

"You have the papers ready?" He asked him.

Zeke nodded from his place in front of his window, gesturing to the small manila envelope on top of the small end table near his door. They were getting ready to go the engagement party and he was still only in his white collared shirt and black trousers. His waistcoat, jacket, and tie were still on his bed, waiting to be worn.

He knew it was pointless to try and prolong their leaving but he couldn't help it. Stepping into his engagement party and meeting with Angelica Verratti felt like it would be the nail in the coffin, the confirmation that he could never be with Tatiana, no matter how much he wanted it.

"You should finish getting ready soon, moy syn." His father said sympathetically, sitting on the edge of his bed as he continued to look out on the grounds of the estate, through the small forest of trees and into the dark night.

"The deal has been signed, Zeke." His father said. "You no longer have a choice, unless you want the anger of your uncle and that of Verratti to befall you."

Zeke sighed, turning away from the window and facing his father. "I know." He leaned against the window. "It's just the timing of it all..."

His father rolled his eyes. "Don't think me a fool Zeke, I know you love Agnieska's daughter."

He gave father a sharp look. "I don't love her." He said firmly, turning away. "I've known her three--maybe four months. I may find her attractive, but to assume that I love her would be absurd."

"It's best to just forget about her." His father said calmly, totally ignoring his earlier disagreement. "I've had to follow my father's wishes as well, I understand how it feels. It has always been the duty of the heir to have an advantageous marriage."

He scoffed. "I know that. I just never expected that I would be one." He said frustratingly.

Francesco was his father's eldest son and had proven himself capable and dependable. There was no doubt that he would be their father's successor and he was only their father's bastard son. He was third in line as successor, maybe even second but Gina would do everything in her power to prevent that. And so, he spent his life assured of the fact that he would never have to have such a responsibility bestowed on him.

He enjoyed all the perks of being a Don's son. He was a wild child, he thought amusedly as he recalled his old memories. Money, women, drugs, clubbing every other night and taking trips around the world to visit the most beautiful sites, he had it all. He was practically on top of the world.

Then his uncle Vincent visited. His uncle was a nice goofy man, handsome and always the player he was. He was 23 at the time, and he had gone to their family estate looking for him. He had been out partying that night and he arrived home close to midnight. His uncle was adamant in meeting him and stayed until he finally showed his face.

His whole world turned upside down with what his uncle had said to him then. "You're going to be my heir, Zeke." He had said.

His uncle couldn't father a child.