twenty-seven - you

to love is

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

|Yuki Sohma."

"PFFFFFFT!" You could not help but let out a laugh.

Slightly dazed, the grey-eyed boy eyed you curiously. "What's wrong?"

"Please. It felt like we were in some cheesy Wattpad fanfiction or something. The way you just said that sentence."

Yuki titled his head to the left, his silver bangs dancing along. "Wattpad.. fanfiction..?"

Your ears immediately reddened. Crap. If he were to google that right now, I'd be exposed. "F-forget I said anything! It's nothing. My point is, that was really cheesy."

You raised your eyebrows suggestively as you pointed at him with a pair of finger-guns.

"Pfft." You found the boy raising an eyebrow at you back, lips curved slightly upwards. You sighed. "You really don't give up, huh?"

"..What?" He was truly puzzled, now.

You narrowed your eyes, throat dry with slight annoyance. "SmiLE wiDER! LaUGH! Is that so hard??" You lunged forward, both hands gripping his cheeks, stretching his face as much as you could.

"I-itai! Itai-tai-tai-tai." He yelped, though he was smiling as he struggled to push your hands away. You stayed silent - he hadn't answered your question yet. (a/n: 'itai' is an expression you can say when you are in pain!)

"...Well, it was harder to do that before. Hmm, more like I forgot how to do it, I guess." He rubbed his chin as if deep in thought. "It's like I knew how to do it before, then one day I just..."

He paused, eyes lowering.

"But how would I ever forget how to smile now?" Silence. Your eyes met, and the conversation continued silently.

'You make me happy.'

His orbs, silver in the iridescent moonlight, held gratitude and this warm, comforting feeling, but you knew it was something more than just that.

You wiggled your eyebrows. 'Do I, really?'

"Yes." He turned to look at the water. "There was a point where I thought you were just a distraction. That I was just using you to help me forget about my problems, even if only for a little while."

"But when we went out to get ice cream..."

Then, he laughed. Real, actual, genuine, boisterous laughter.

"I just knew it. What I felt... That was genuine. Genuine happiness."

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

..not anything lonely.

words: 393
published: 05/06/2021