eight - you

Do we often see the truth?

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

|"Smile... more?"

As you walked into your classroom with higher spirits than usual, the people around you began whispering.

"She's here."

"She's later today? I wonder why?" Another girl interjected, before bursting in a fit of giggles along with the rest of her crew.

You kept your eyes on your seat, stubborn as you steadily put one foot in front of the other.

It's okay, Y/n L/n.

Your vision dimmed, your senses of hearing barely hanging on as the whispers of the people around you throbbed.

They just need someone to make them feel better about themselves.

You smiled painfully to yourself. Was this self-pity yet?

It has always been like this.

Always. You plopped down your bag on the floor, hitting the tile closest to your desk next to the window. Taking a seat, folding the skirt neatly underneath you, you forced your mind to wander away from what everyone was whispering about you today - Maybe the smell I caught from when I bumped into him. What was in that box he was carrying, anyway?

Then, you realised something. Your heartbeat quickened, the pulse thumping steadily yet loudly in your eardrums.

The boy. He was not.. Your eyebrows etched together deeply, as if you have come across something that just didn't add up.

Your brain went into a frenzy. He had to have at least one quality from that list of yours, right? You quickly searched the corners of your mind .

Greedy? Manipulative? Violent?

You could, in your mind's eye, still see clearly how the boy had tried to hide his smile, shyly. You scoffed to yourself.

He was clearly none of those.

But how's that possible..? You've never met a man, or a boy, like that. True, this might sound biased to females, but your father..

Was he even your father if he never cared for you? He ruined it for you. Ruined your perception of men.

You closed your eyes tightly for a moment, as if to gather your bearings. A soft sigh escaping your mouth, you opened your eyes once again to meet the cruelty of the real world.

Now, the real question is -

Do you ignore the fact that he has qualities of an angel, one very much unlike the rest of men you've come across in your entire life?

Or do you admit that.. he's different?

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

..or are what we see simply mirages of what things actually are?

words: 394

published: 08/10/2020