thirty - you

my head's under water

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

|Drip. Drip. Drip.

'Huh?'

You blinked for the second time that night. Your vision had blurred, tears of sodium and water brimming at your eyes. Some of it was already trickling down the side of your cheek, splattering onto the walkway.

Drip. Drip. Driiiip.

"No. I'm not leaving you." He leaned forward, his other hand's index finger tapping your forehead ever so slightly.

"I'll be right here."

Your stupid, silly little heart had the audacity to skip a beat. "What about you? Will you remember me?"

Your tone was far from what it seemed - it wasn't whiny, it wasn't sorrowful, it wasn't screechy.

It was soft, feeble, and scared.

You were so, so scared. 'What are you going to do now? What happens after all this?' - there was too much unknown for you to bear.

The silver-eyed boy only sighed once, looking away for the first time in a while. "You know, I never-not knew you."

'Never-not-what-the-fuck?'

He then yelped, eyes alit. "Oh god, that sounded so stupid. let me try again," he cleared his throat. "From the moment I enrolled in our school, I knew you were here. The first person I saw in the school was you. The air you carried was remarkable. It felt so, how do I put it? It felt beautiful."

His cheeks reddened, dark contrast forming between the blush and his fair skin. "I, er, I mean, you felt different. More different than anyone else."

"Before I knew it, I was hiding. Away from your gaze, before your eyes could reach me. I was behind a wall, panting, thinking - why did I just do that?" He paused, giving you a small, bewildered smile. "From then on, whenever I saw you in the hallways, or around the school, I would immediately find a way to flee. I never knew the reason why, but now that I think about it..."

"It was like my body moved on its own, whenever I was around you. So that's why you never knew who I was, I guess." He looked away sheepishly.

As his explanation ceased, you found the edges of your lips twitching.

Then you laughed.

You were supposed to be sad - someone you held dear was going. Leaving. Disappearing. Away.

Yet, you were laughing. (rather raspily, as a matter of fact) You felt happiness bursting within you, feelings of warmth and love filling you. You forgot the darkness from earlier - what was that? You no longer knew, and you didn't need to know anymore, either.

"I-I-" Unable to form a sentence, you used a finger to graze your eyelids, brushing off the tears that were still there.

"Shhh. It's alright." Yuki Sohma, the boy you had known as Yuki for the longest time, looked ethereal with his pretty silver eyes and shimmering hair and glistening smile.

'I understand what you're trying to say.'

Then, he let go of your hand. Caught off-guard at the loss of contact, your eyes flitted up to his, trailing where his hand was going to next. But, before you could catch sight of where it was going-

Yuki patted your head.

"...Don't look up."

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

but i'm breathing fine.

words: 532
published: 16/06/2021