Chapter Nine: Video

I walked into the venue and was in completely awe. It was gorgeous. I looked around and seen the guests staring at us. "Mateo, why are they looking at us?" I whispered. Mateo leaned towards me, "Because you look absolutely beautiful in that dress," he replied. My face went flush and I could feel my cheeks burning. A gentleman with blonde hair and blue eyes approached us. He studied my face. "Can I help you Jacob?" interrupted Mateo. The man named Jacob smiled. "And here I thought you were coming to the Charity Ball with Nina. I didn't expect you to come with this.. Beauty," he said, focusing his attention back on me.

"Yeah well, she's not available for you nor does she want you," said Mateo as he grabbed my hand and we walked passed Jacob. "Don't worry about him Mia, just steer clear and you'll be alright," assured Mateo. The waitress passed by with drinks on a tray. Mateo grabbed two glasses, giving one to me. Suddenly, we see Nina and her date approach us. "Give me a fucking break," said Mateo under his breath, but loud enough so that I can hear him. I chuckled into my glass that I drank from.

"Hello Mateo," she said holding onto the arm of her date. Nina looked at me up and down slowly. "Intern," she added, in a pained voice. "This here is my date, Bryson Wylde. He's a model," she added. Bryson and Mateo shook hands. "Run while you still can Bryson," said Mateo, smiling. They began to laugh and Nina wasn't pleased. The night went on and drinks were pouring. I got a bit more comfortable speaking with Mateo's guests. Some of the guests even complimented on my dress and beauty.

Thanks to alcohol known as 'Liquid Courage'. Mateo couldn't stick by me all night, but he was at a distance where he can still see me while talking to his guests. "Care to dance?" asked a familiar voice. I turned around and it was Jacob. "Oh— no it's fine," I rejected politely as I held my glass, curled towards my chest and looking out into the crowd. "Aw, c'mon Princess. One dance won't hurt," he said as he got closer to me. I looked to the side of me and I was now face to face with Jacob. I could smell the alcohol lingering on his breath.

~~

I looked over to my left to check on Mia and see if she's alright while speaking to my guests. My jaw began to tighten as I seen Jacob approached her. That slimy bastard, he just never knows when to leave these girls alone. I could see that he was getting closer to her. The look on Mia's face says it all. "Excuse me," I said politely as I left my guests. I walked over towards Mia. "Would you like to dance?" I asked. She nodded. I lead Mia to the dance floor. Placing my hand in the curve of her back and taking her by the other hand, we began to sway.

I looked down at Mia and realized her big, bright eyes were staring right back at me. "Thank you," she said with a sigh of relief. I smiled. "You're lucky I got to you before Jacob grabbed you to dance," I chuckled. She giggled.

~~

I've never seen Mateo so relaxed before. He laughed more and he wasn't serious like how he is in the office. "What is going on in that pretty little head of yours?" he asked. I was taken back and dropped my head so he wouldn't see me blushing. "Just that you seem so relaxed," I answered. Mateo smiled. "Excuse me Mateo, but can I have a word with you?" asked Dominic. "I'm sorry Mia, give me a moment," said Mateo. I nodded and went to grab a refreshment.

I turned around to focus myself back on Dom and Mateo. Mateo's facial expression changed and I watched as he headed towards the door. I quickly followed. "Hey, is everything alright?" I asked with a concerned look on my face. Mateo and Dom looked at each other. "Mia, I'll have to take you home. It's not safe right now and some of your father's men have disappeared," he said. I nodded without hesitation as Mateo took me home.

He drove up to my house and parked the car infront. "I'm sorry you couldn't stay longer," he said. "It's fine Mateo. I enjoyed tonight," I said smiling. Mateo and I stared at each other for a minute in silence, until we heard the front door opened. "I informed your father about what's going on," said Mateo, breaking the silence. He pushed the button for the window on passenger's side to go down. "Mateo, you and Mia need to get inside, NOW," said my Dad in a stern and serious voice.

We got out the car and headed into the house. My mom was sitting on the staircase in her silk, night robe while my brother, my uncles and Dad stood around. "Mateo, how well do you know everyone that attends your Charity Ball?" asked Dad. Mateo looked at me. "Very well Luca. What's going on?" he replied. Dad took out his phone and showed us a video clip. It was a video of us dancing at the Charity Ball, but from a distance.

My dad looked at the both of us. "This video was sent to me by a source claiming to be Trisha, but the number is from a burner. I had Nico track it," he explained. "You mean, Trisha you told us about?" I asked, feeling concerned and shocked. "The White fucking Snakes," scoffed Mateo with a devious smirk. "You know about them?" I asked, surprised. Mateo loosens his tie. "Who doesn't? I thought the Russians killed her?" he asked curiously.

"Indeed they did, but now it seems like there's someone else," replied Dad. "Do we know who?" asked Carlos. "No we don't, sadly. Whoever it is, is trying to finish what Trisha started and they're really good at covering their tracks," said Cardo.