Chapter Twenty-One: Changes

It's been two weeks since I've been home. I didn't go into work because I was embarrassed and angry. Angry because Nina that bitch framed me. Embarrassed because it was infront of so many people and I'm sure most of those people knew who my parents are. But I was also feeling extremely hurt. The fact that Mateo wouldn't even look at me and he didn't even believe me. I couldn't even explain myself for that matter.

I wouldn't leave my room. I haven't been to work in days that I just laid in bed crying. My eyes were puffy and swollen. I knew my Mom would come to check on me often. She tried getting me out of bed, but I just wouldn't budge. "Mia?" said my Dad knocking on the door. "Bella, can I come in?" he asked. "Go away.." I added. He decided to come in anyway.

"Look Mia, I know you're upset-" he began. "Capo," interrupted Cardo. "You guys might want to take a look at this. You too Mia," he continued. We headed down to my Dad's office. Dante and Nico were on his computer. "It wasn't easy getting the footage for the venue on Friday night-" said Nico as he adjusted the time lapse. We watched the video as it played. Nothing made sense. The footage showed that Nina went into the bathroom before I DID.

Suddenly something caught my eye. "STOP. Play it back," I demanded. Nico played it back again. The video showed a slight skip. "What the hell? The footage was altered. Is this the original?" I curiously asked. "I guess so. We had some of the men check the rest of the files to see if there were any original evidence. Turns out, this was the only evidence they have," he replied.

~

I sat in my office and intently stared across the room to see Mia's empty office and chair. I can't believe she would do this to me. The evidence was so clear. She said to me she had to go to the bathroom. Nina was already missing. She came back and sat there as if nothing happened. Even I seen the security footage myself. Nina went into the bathroom before Mia. Mia came out and Nina didn't.

Mia pulled the necklace out of her purse. We all seen it with our own eyes. I was angry. I really thought Mia was different. She's just like the rest of the women I've dealt with. Only after one thing. Money. Nina knocked on my office door. "Hey babe. Are we still on for my parents? They're having that lame anniversary dinner party," she said as she sat on my desk. "Yeah sure," I said distracted.

Nina looked over to Mia's empty desk, and then back at me. "I'd never come back here either if I was caught being a theif and stealing from my own boss. That deserves an automatic termination," she said. My jaw tightened and I thought for a moment. Nina's right. I can't have someone who tried to steal from me, work for me any longer.

I exhaled through my nose quietly and looked at Nina. "You're right. I'll have one of the admins type out a letter of termination and send it," I said. "Great! I'll see you this evening. And wear that navy blue suit I like," she said as she pecked my lips quickly and left.

~

Days went by and I've recieved a letter from The Moretti Towers. My hands trembled. I was so afraid to open it. I closed my eyes and inhaled, then exhaled. Carefully opening the letter while sitting on my bed, I read it.

Dear Ms. Mia Salvatore,

We regret to inform you that we will no longer be needing your services at The Moretti Towers.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to give us a call and one of our office administrators will be happy to help resolve the matter.

Sincerely,
- The Moretti Towers.

The letter gently fell from my hand, onto my bed as I tried to make sense of it all. They terminated me? The tears silently fell from my eyes. I grabbed my phone and looked up Mateo's number. I stopped for a second and thought to myself, why would he want to speak to me? I couldn't prove that I was framed. He saw what he saw. I became angry that he believed Nina.

I looked down and stared at my phone screen. Making a split decision, I held his number down and deleted it from my contacts. I locked my screen and placed my phone on the bed. I guess that's it. I was never going to contact Mateo Moretti ever again. I didn't want nothing to do with him.

~~

Nine months have passed and I was comfortable with my new internship replacement. I was at the Femme Naturelle headquarters. It's the largest business right now for women's skin care. They're known all over America. I mean, it's no Moretti Towers, but it's something. I'm so close to finishing my internship that I'll be graduating soon. It's been a long few years in business school, but it's worth it.

I'm glad that my professor, Ryder Dellucci, allowed me to change my internship placement. Things have changed for me to be honest. Ryder and I have been talking to each other a lot. He would always check in on me and see how well I was doing at my new placement.

My Dad was a bit relieved that I wasn't at The Moretti Towers anymore. The day was finally over and I wanted to check out this new little café that I've been dying to try before going home. I made my way to my car and headed out.