Chapter Seventeen: The Date

We've been driving for awhile. Sitting in silence as my hands were in my lap. "You know you don't have to be nervous," said Mateo, breaking the silence. "Can I turn on the radio?" I asked. He nodded. I turned on the radio and 'How You Gonna Act Like That By Tyrese' was playing. I started humming. Mateo looked at me and looked back, focusing on the road. He smirked.

I smiled. "How you gonna act like we don't be makin' love? You know we be tearin' it up, breakin' stuff, that ghetto love." sang Mateo. We looked at each other and bursted out laughing. "Why don't we play 21 Questions?" he suggest. "Sure," I agreed.

Mateo- 1. "Okay, I'll go first. What's your favorite colour?"

A: "Blue."

Me- 2. "What's your favorite colour?"

"You know you're suppose to ask a different question, right? Other than the same question, " he said smirking. "Well, I guess we'll do it differently, where we're allowed to ask the same questions," I said laughing. He chuckled and shook his head while still focused on the road.

A: "Green."

Mateo- 3. "Your favourite movie?"

A: "A Walk To Remember."

"I don't think I've seen that," he said. "You should watch it. It's such a cute, but sad movie to be honest," I said. "I'll keep that in mind," he said.

Me- 4: "Favourite movie?"

A: "Scarface."

"Obviously," I said rolling my eyes and giggling.

Mateo- 5. "Your age?"

A: "22."

"Alrighttt," he smirked.

I laughed. This would probably be the time I should ask him about his age too. I literally don't even know how old he is.

Me- 6. "Aaaand, your age?"

A: "I'm.. 27."

27? Well fuck me. He's definitely the finest 27 year old I've ever seen. I began to blush. He took a double take of my face. "Are you blushing Ms. Salvatore?" he asked, smiling. "NO—" I said, hiding my face by looking the other way.

Mateo- 7. "What's the worst date you've been on?"

I swallowed and stayed quiet. "What's wrong Mia?" he asked. "I-I've never been on a date before," I said, shyly. "Whaaat? But you're so beautiful. How come you haven't been on a date before? I'm sure men are lined up to take you out," he said, surprised. "Do you know who my father is Mateo?" I asked, sarcastically. "Ahh. Point taken," he said as he chuckled.

We started to slow down, approaching lights ahead. "So much for 21 Questions," he said. "More like 7 Questions," I laughed. There was a beautiful restaurant by the water on the right side. I looked to my left and there was dock lit with pretty lights and a huge gazebo with lights strunged around it. In the centre of the gazebo had a table with 2 chairs and a lit candle with roses in a vase as a centre piece.

Off to the side of the table was a waiter. Mateo parked and came around the other side to help me out the car while giving me my crutches. "I forgot to mention how beautiful you look Mia," he mentioned. I smiled. "You didn't do so bad yourself," I commented. He grinned. He helped me towards the gazebo and presented to my seat. Pulling out my chair, I sat down and he came around and sat in his own seat.

"Mr. Moretti, great seeing you again," said the waiter. "Here are your menus. I'll give you a moment to decide," he continued before giving us our menus and walking away. "You must come here often," I said. "Yeah. I came here a lot with my parents," he said as he smiled. I became sympathetic. "I'm truly sorry about your father Mateo. How's your mom doing by the way?" I asked.

"She's doing so much better to be honest," he answered. I smiled. "That's good to hear," I said. We both looked our menus and ordered our food. Time passed. Over drinks, food and our conversations during dinner. We honestly found out quite a lot about each other. Likes and dislikes, childhood, favourite books, etc. He likes to spend his spare time down at the animal shelter and visiting the children hospital.

We laughed and talked for the next fews hours and the night ended perfectly. We literally were the only ones left in the area. Mateo put his suit jacket over me and helped me walk back to his car. I turned to him. "Thank you so much for this dinner Mateo," I said. He smiled. "You're very welcome Mia, but I should be thanking you. I haven't had a good night like this in a long time," he praised me. I smiled. He came closer to me.

"Mia, if I'm being honest.. I can't stop thinking about that night we kissed," he said as he gently lifted my chin. Our eyes locked on each other. "I thought I was the only one," I spoke softly. Our faces inched closer. Our lips crashed and we kissed. This kiss was like no other kiss. It was gentle, yet passionate. He pulled my waist closer and I dropped my crutches as I put my arms around his neck as I braced on him.

The kisses became more aggressive. He pulled away and stopped. "Shit, I'm sorry Mia," he said. I looked at him disappointed. "Are you sure it's okay?" he asked. I cupped his cheeks and shook my head. "Of course it is," I answered. We continued to kiss again. This time, he gently picked me up and put me to sit on the hood of his car..