31 | distress

The word STRIKE flashes across the screen over our heads.

"Okay, now you're just showing off." I say, picking up my bowling ball.

"It's not my fault I'm good at this, babe." Harry smirks.

"It sort of is." I jokingly protest.

He pulls me into him. But it's a sort of awkward position considering the bowling ball still in my hands. "You're the one who wanted to go bowling."

And then he leans down to press his lips to my neck.

I blush as I feel people's eyes on us in the crowded bowling ally. "Harry..."

"Hmm?" He humms as he moves just under my ear.

"People are staring." I say but find myself closing my eyes and enjoying his assault on my neck.

"Let them." He says.

"I'm going to end up dropping this bowling ball on your foot if you don't stop." I laugh.

He chuckles against my neck and releases me. Glances at my neck and smirks. "Hmm... you'll probably want to cover that up before you go home."

I just shake my head at him, a smile spread wide across my lips. "You're unbelievable."

"It's your turn."

"I know."

"Don't mess up."

"I hate you." I call over my shoulder.

"I love you." He says back.

I just shake my head again. My smile never fading as I roll the ball forward in a very nongraceful motion.

It goes a bit slower than I meant it to and makes it's way a bit too far toward the left. And only knocks down three pins.

"WOO! WAY TO GO, BABE. THAT WAS A BEAUTIFUL SHOT!" Harry purposely claps loudly.

I turn around and glare at him. But I can't help but smile when I see him nearly doubled over, laughing.

A few people in the lane next to ours just shake their heads and look a little annoyed.

I walk over to him and hit him playfully in the shoulder. "You're so mean to me."

"Don't be mad, babe." He's still laughing. "Maybe they have a board for lowest scores ever."

I laugh and punch him again.

He grabs my wrist so I don't hit him again and wraps his other arm around my waist. "It's rude to hit people, Mason."

"It's rude to make fun of people, Harry." I reply.

My phone vibrates in my pocket but I ignore it. Too busy smiling at the outrageously good looking man in front of me.

"Then prove me wrong, sugarplum."

I raise my eyebrows. "That's a new one."

He shrugs. "I try to keep things interesting."

"You're insane." I laugh and remove myself from his grip to bowl again. I get another four pins and then it's Harry's turn.

And I'm pretty sure he made it go into the gutter on purpose.

"What was that?" I ask. "Purposely being bad won't get you anywhere."

"My finger got stuck in the hole." He lies.

"Mhmmm.... okay."

After another fourty five minutes and three games later, Harry has whipped my butt at bowling. Not that I expected any less.

I'm pretty sure I bowled a total of eleven on that last game?

"You hungry?" Harry asks as we walk toward his car.

"Starved." I nod as my phone vibrates again.

I pull it out to see I have two new messages. Both from a blocked number.

UNKNOWN: > picture message < getting a bit carried away?

UNKNOWN: He will never love you like I do.

I frown and open the image attached to the first message and nearly drop my phone.

It's of Harry and I from not too long ago, making out near the ball return.

"Oh my god." I turn around in a full circle but we're alone in the now, nearly empty parking lot.

"What? What's wrong?" Harry asks.

I hand him my phone. "Look!"

He stares at the screen for a moment. "You must have a virus."

"What?" I take my phone back and the screen is pixelated and irregularly flashing different patterns of colors.

"Are you okay?"

"No." I say. Brushing my hair back with my fingers in frustration. Tears prick my eyes. "I'm not okay because I think--no I know that the killer is still out there. And whoever he is, he was here. He sent me a picture of us just before my phone freaked out. And I'm scared, Harry. I'm so scared--"

"Shhh." He hushes me and pulls me into his chest. "Slow down. What are you talking about?"

"The murderer. He's been sending me gifts." I finally let it off my chest. "He sent me a picture--how did he get my number?"

"He's sending you gifts?" Harry asks. His fearshowing in his eyes. "Like what?"

My hand automatically flies up to my neck where my mother's locket rests against my collarbones. "Just r-really weird stuff."

"Did he send you that?" He demands, eyeing my necklace.

"I lost this a month before I moved here. I spent days looking for it through boxes I'd already packed. My mother had given it to me." I explain, feeling my entire body shaking. "And then a few days ago it just shows up in a gift box in your room. And--"

"In my room?" If he looked scared before, he's terrified now.

"Y-Yeah." I swallow the lump in my throat. "When I asked you the other day--when you were brushing your teeth--if you had just been in the room, and I rambled about my earring being stuck on my shirt?"

He nods to show he's following.

"Well, when my shirt was over my head, it got caughton my earring. I felt someone helping me get it off--I thought it was you... until I saw the box."

"He was in my house?!" Harry paces and tugs at his hair.

"And here. Tonight." I add softly, my hands shaking so hard I cross my arms to make them stop.

"How do you know it's him?"

"He left notes for me. Signed H-E-S."

He curses under his breath and looks around the parking lot. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I don't know. I wasn't sure if the first time was just a prank or something." I say. "And then the second time I wasn't even sure what happened--and I tried to tell you that night but you had already fallen asleep."

He still looks a bit angry but he nods and says, "we should go home."

"Okay." I agree as we start toward his car again.

He takes my hand and I hold onto it as if it's my lifeline in the quickly darkening evening.

____________________

THIS WAS ACTUALLY REALLY SHITTY AND SHORT. I'M SO SORRY LOVES.

But literally wtf was this chapter idek but I wanted to update for you guys because I love you. Next chapter is better. Promise.

PLEASE VOTE ILYSM

-Lena xx