26 | judgement

[*]

I'm sorry Niall girls. Don't hate me after this chapter.

And I updated my new story, "Skinny" so please go check it out and tell me what you think!!

Okay I'll shut up now... xx

*-*-*-*

It was like a huge weight had been lifted off the entire town.

The news spread like wildfire that two suspects had been arrested for the H.E.S. murders with significant evidence against them.

I should feel relieved and ecstatic. My step sister is safe and recovering from the physical and mental trauma of the whole ordeal in the best hospital around, just ten minutes outside of town.

But something still didn't settle right in my stomach.

"Why those letters?" I say into the nearly silent bedroom of Harry's home.

We sat next to each other, reading our novels on this rainy Saturday. But for me, the words blurred like the scene outside the window as my own uncertainty dripped like raindrops until all I could see were shapes.

"What was that, babe?" Harry asks, clearly engrossed in his book--some english translation of a Swedish author from the nineteen-fifties.

"Why did they use the letters H.E.S?" I explain. "At first, I thought they might be initials but that doesn't make sense."

He simply shrugs. "Maybe they mean something else."

"Like an acronym?" I ask but don't wait for a reply. "I guess that would make sense."

Harry sighs and sets his book down on the bedside table. "You're stressing about this just as much as you did before they were caught, possibly even more."

I take a deep breath. "I don't know. I just feel like it was too easy. What if there's more of them? Like, H.E.S. is actually some gang name or something?" I ask, realizing if that's true I would most certainly still be in danger.

"Niall and Liam were the only ones I knew of." He says, most likely sensing my fear. "I don't think there are any others."

"I hope not." I sigh, setting down my book I'd long lost interest in.

Harry pulls me into his chest, pressing a kiss to my hair. "I won't let anything happen to you."

"I know, but some things are out of even your control." I say, kissing the base of his neck, just above his right collarbone.

He tightens his arms around my waist, as if doing so could make the truth any less real.

We both knew that he can't be by my side every minute of every day. And anything could happen in the time between. If there's anyone else out there associated with those two vile men, they could find me.

I'm not exactly sure how, but Harry ended up with a huge target on his back when it came to those guys. And with our close relationship, it meant I did, too.

I sigh, shaking my head to rid it of the troubling thoughts. "Distract me."

Harry doesn't move, most likely not understanding the meaning behind my soft words.

"Distract me." I repeat, my voice nearly begging as I sit up slightly to kiss him.

Harry takes a moment to react, before turning us over as he understands what I want.

His hands grip my hips firmly, his weight heavy and erotic as he leans over me. Every inch of our bodies pressed together is a thought pushed out of my head. I no longer focus on possibilities of murder gangs coming after me, I no longer think of the job that I've been given time off from. I only think of Harry. My mind solely focused on these inches between our noses when he pulls back for air. My thoughts drifting only to the possibilities of where we could go from here.