1 | new house

a quick note... my first chapters are always kinda short, so the others will be longer than this.

without further adoooo

enjoy!!!!!! ;)

*-*-*-*-*-*

"You're going to love the new house," my dad insists from the driver's seat, "it's old but something about it made Carol fall in love with it the second she walked in. I think you'll like it too."

"What makes you say that?" I ask, slightly sharper than I intended, "it's not like we agree very often on anything."

"Now Mason, you're eighteen, an adult. Please act like one."

"I'm sorry dad," I look down at my hands in my lap, "you know I will. It's just hard sometimes when I feel like she's trying to replace mom."

"She could never replace your mother," he says, "I loved your mother, and I'm not trying to replace her with-"

"I never said you were." I interrupt, "I know you loved mom."

Just then my dad pulls his car to the shoulder of the road. "We're here."

I glanced to my right, out the window, and my eyes immediately find a beautiful victorian style house. A bit run down, but I know my dad enjoys home improvement projects.

It's white siding is greyed and dulled with age, and ivy grows up to the roof on it's right side. The dark grey shutters look as if they were black at one point but now are weathered down through rain and storms and the changing of seasons.

Just at first glance I knew the house would be fairly large on the inside.

"What do you think?"

"I think Carol and I can finally agree on something." I smile honestly.

My dad helps me unload my boxes from the trunk. All his and Carols things are in the moving van along with my bedroom furniture and whatever else they decided to bring to the new house.

"Go look around," my dad says as we step into the foyer, "take any room you want except the master."

I nod as he sets down the box of mine he held by the front door before heading to see if Carol needed help with anything.

I hold a random box that contains some of my things, and with it I climb the stairs in search of a room to claim as my own.

At the top of the stairs there is only one room on the right, which has double doors. I figure it's the master bedroom and I turn to the left.

There are quite a few doors, to which I'm surprised.

It would only be Carol, my dad, me and Layla -my stepsister, Carol's daughter- living here, yet there are three doors on each side of the hallway, making six in total, not including the master.

I push the first open, noticing that a desk and a few boxes are already set inside by the window that faced out toward the road. This would be my dad's office.

I walk down to the end of the hall to the last door on my right, a well sized bedroom with a window seat facing the yard, another window on the left wall shows an oak tree that swings a little too close to the glass in the wind, and the house next door.

The floor is wood, just like the rest of the house, though you could tell the flooring was recently installed from the shine and slight smell of wood dust.

With the walls an aged white, I note that I should paint before moving in my furniture.

I set down my box, claiming the room with a smile.

Maybe I could like it here.

I inspect the size of the closet, which is relitively small. It wasn't much of a surprise considering old houses tended to have small closets.

There's another door, which I open to find a bathroom.

After a quick inspection I find that it connects to the hallway as well.

"Find a room yet?" My dad asks, taking a few more things into his office.

"Yeah, down on the end." I motion toward the door.

"Need help with your stuff?"

"Nah, I got it." I wave him off, knowing Carol is most likely making him carry all of her things. "I was thinking it could use a paint job though, so could I run to the store?"

"Sure, do you need money?" He asks, already pulling out his wallet.

I thank him as he hands me a few bills.

"There's a hardware store a few blocks down the street."

"Ok, I'll be back." I smile before heading down and out the door.

A bit of wandering and twenty minutes later, I walk through the door of the hardware store, easily finding my way to the paintbrushes and color swatches.

I was between a light sky blue and a soft yellow when I heard a deep voice behind me. "Go with the blue, it brings out your eyes."

I turn to see a guy standing next to me, a few color swatches in his own hands but he doesn't look very interested in them.

"Thanks, but I was thinking the yellow would bring out the natural charm. It's kind of an old house."

Might as well get his opinion, he seems nice enough.

As he nods, a dark curl falls on his forehead before he pulls a hand through his hair to push it back. "You moved into that Victorian house on Blane Street?"

"Yeah, actually." It must be a very small town if he knew that.

He seems to think for a moment, before surprising me, leaning close. His lips nearly brushing my ear as he whispers, his voice low and raspy and beautiful. "Go with the blue."

Before I could respond, he turns and walks out the door as if nothing happened.

*-*-*-*-*-*

thanks for reading!!!! And please vote if you liked. Also, Mason's house is on the sidebar>>>>>

Next chapter will be longer. Pinky Promise!

-Lena xx