19- An Unexpected Turn of Events

I continued swaying alone, squealing slightly as hands grabbed my waist from behind. Familiar hands at that. I turned around, not alone in my own bubble anymore, but accompanied by Draco.

"Can't get enough of me, can you?" I questioned.

"Just wanted to save you from the embarrassment of being alone," he replied.

"I was doing fine on my own."

He pulled me in closer to him, my back now pushed up against his chest and him guiding me with the tempo of the music.

"I still don't like you, Malfoy."

"I could say the same."

I nodded contently, slowly dancing oddly along with him, the tension rising by the minute and my thoughts traveling to unwanted places, all occurrences with Draco.

"If you don't like me, why haven't you left yet?" he whispered in my ear.

"I'm comfortable." After saying that, I rested the back of my head onto his chest.

He scoffed lightly but we continued swaying in front of everyone, whispers and rumors running through the crowd. I ignored everything except my dancing partner.

Thoughts of my sisters birthday creeped up on me and a wave of sadness washed over me, definitely noticed by Draco.

"I'll be back," I muttered, walking out of the Great Hall and into the empty hallway.

My breath uncontrollably staggered, I stood with one hand against the wall, distracting myself from the memories of my sister that threatened to corrupt my mind.

I closed my eyes, visualizing scenarios at Hogwarts over the past four years as a tactic to halt an oncoming panic attack.

I felt two hands wrap themselves around my neck from the back and I looked up. Draco was standing there, comforting me as he used to do whenever I was upset.

"I'm fine," I whispered, although melting at his touch and craving more.

"No you're not."

"Everybody seems to know more about me then I do myself."

"You don't listen to yourself. You please everyone else, but it's never you. When are you going to start treating yourself with some respect?"

I tore his hands off of me and faced him.

"You have no idea what I'm going through right now. Do you even know why I'm hyperventilating in the hallway while I could be dancing with any of my friends at the moment?"

"It's her, isn't it? It's Eleanor's birthday."

I nodded slowly.

We stood there, staring at one another, not knowing what to say next. My eyes traveled to the hallway surrounding us, landing on moving portraits, the dome-like ceiling, and finally back on Draco.

"Why don't we go back in?" he proposed.

I shook my head. "I need a minute."

"You've had years!"

I flinched at his outburst and sent a cold glare, wishing he could experience the long-lasting grief rather than me.

"Yes, it's been years and you know what? Sometimes I wish it were you."

With those words, I turned around, my heels clicking loudly as I jogged back into the Great Hall, hoping Draco wouldn't make a scene around our fellow classmates and professors.

I turned to my left, watching Ron and Hermione bicker while walking side by side.

"He's using you," Ron said.