24- Task Preparation

•••

Dinner with the trio was fascinating.

"So you and Finn are on good terms now? You've talk to him?" Hermione asked at the Gryffindor table.

"Pretty much; we've agreed that Draco is a topic that we will avoid to prevent arguments. However, whenever they're around each other it's still very tense so I'm not totally sure."

"That's brilliant. I'm glad for you," Ron said, chomping on his food loudly.

"Ronald, I'm appalled! You have absolutely zero respect. Stop speaking when your mouth is open. Merlin, what has Molly taught you? What a poor woman, having to deal with you at home."

Harry raised his eyebrows at Hermione's insult as Ron swallowed deeply, setting his fork down and standing up, understandably angry.

"Ron, I didn't mean it like that!" Hermione desperately shouted as he slowly walked away, glancing back only once before rushing out of the great hall.

"Hermione, you know he's sensitive!" I scolded, standing up and speed-walking after Ron.

I heard her sigh loudly as I left. I continued to follow Ron to his favorite setting: the kitchens.

"Ron, she didn't mean anything of it," I assured, sitting next to him on the tall barstool as he sulked over Hermione's words.

"Merlin forbid Hermione doing something wrong for once in her life."

"You know what? You're right."

He turned to me and shot me a skeptical look, yet I continued.

"Hermione can never do anything wrong or it's absolutely catastrophic, but we are still friends and we love her. Don't we?"

"Love? What a strong word. I don't know about that," he uneasily replied.

"The point is that we're still friends even though we have fights. You'll get over her stupid remark. You have every right to be angry and frustrated at the moment; lay it on me."

"It's true, what Hermione said. My mum never cared, all she wanted was a girl. I got stuck with the ancient dress robes, I was scolded for sleeping in late and overeating, and it's always been Harry."

"I'm sorry Ron. I fully understand how awful it is to have parents who don't care about you. It seems like all my friends have troubles with their parents. Just know, I'm here for you."

"Thanks, y/n. I don't know why you're so nice to me. I hurt you in an unimaginable way and I still feel guilty to this day."

"Ron, don't worry about me. Everything is in the past. I've clearly moved on."

Dobby appeared a few seconds later, right as we were discussing the second task occurring extremely soon.

"Harry told us he already got the egg figured out, but I'm not quite sure I believe him, y/n. I'm sure he just said that to get Hermione off of his back. Hopefully not the latter."

I nodded in agreement while Dobby handed us snacks as requested.

"Dobby couldn't help but overhear you two talking about the second task. Has Harry Potter not solved his golden egg yet? What a shame, there's only a few days left!" the house elf shrieked.