𝕆𝕟𝕖

Abigail Grey was never one to just arrive unannounced, but this time was different. She was currently in a cab heading to Grey Sloan Memorial hospital from the airport. To say her name was on the front of the building, she didn't know much about the place. Of course she knew her sister worked there, along with her husband but beyond that, she knew nothing.

She wasn't sure how Meredith would react to seeing her again after so long. They had spoken a fair amount over the phone but both being busy surgeons, there where very few opportunities for that to happen. But when they did speak they'd talk about their marriages and Merediths kids or rough surgeries they had had that day. Abigail remembered the day Meredith called and said that they had two other sisters, Lexie and Molly. She was shocked to find out her father had a whole new family that he actually seemed to give a crap about, that was until Meredith told her that he was a drunk. She also remembers how devastated Meredith sounded over the phone when Lexie had died, she felt bad she'd never met the girl because the way Meredith described her she seemed like such a sweet girl. She remembers when she got the call her mother had finally passed away, she felt some kind of relief that her mother wasn't suffering anymore. But she felt bad for not being there for her sister through the years. She didn't know if Meredith hated her for that.

When Abigail found herself stood outside the front doors of the hospital, she just stared. She'd be lying if she said she wasn't nervous, or that her heart wasn't pounding in her ears. Although, she did feel some sense of familiarity and comfort. She felt like she was home. She just hoped that she was still welcome.

As she made her way to the front desk, she took in the familiar smell of a hospital and the sound of the bustle around her. It somewhat calmed her, being in a familiar setting. Just as she was about to ask a nurse for the whereabouts of Dr Grey a voice sounded behind her. One that she'd recognise anywhere. "Abby." Abigails head turned in response to her name to see just the person she was looked for, stood there with a dumbfounded look on her face as a slight smile played on her lips.

"Hey Mer, how you bee-" she was cut off by her sister embracing her into a tight hug, swaying slightly. She tensed up at first, but quickly relaxed into her big sisters touch. In that moment Abigails nerves just seemed to disappear into thin air. Everything just felt right, like nothing had changed from when they were kids blissfully unaware of how cruel the world could be. Everything was comfortable and easy again, just for a moment.

As the two pulled away Meredith kept her hands on the girls shoulders, taking in the sight before her. Her little sister stood in front of her with the same goofy grin she wore as a child with the same glint of excitement in her eyes. But yet things were different. She had grown up. Meredith didn't fail to notice the slight bags under Abigails eyes, and the excitement that was in her eyes seemed to fade rather quickly, being replaced with sadness. But before either girl could say anything another voice came from behind the two. "Meredith, I've been trying to-" the voice, clearly a mans, cut itself off when he realised that Meredith wasn't alone.

The man that made his was over was a tall, handsome man that wore dark blue scrubs, a big smile on his face as he made confident strides towards the girls. The three stood in a slight awkward silence for a moment until Abigail spoke up, extending a hand towards the man. "Hi I'm Abigail. Abigail Grey." The man took her hand and shook gently as a wave of realisation hit him. "Ah, so you're the sister? Derek Shepherd"

"So you're the husband? Nice to finally meet you" Abigail said a slight smirk tugging at her lips. Then Meredith spoke up from the side of them both, "Not that it's not great to see you Abs, but why are you here? What happened to Boston?" Abigails smile immediately fell which didn't go unnoticed by the two surgeons stood in front of her. "What's up? What happened?" Meredith asked with genuine concern laced in her voice.

Abigails words seemed to not want to come out, as if saying it would make it true. "It's Kayleigh. She died." She tried to hold back the tears that began to well up and threaten to spill, but she had no such luck. " I just had to get away, get out of there you know?" She continued in the silence. When she averted her eyes away from the floor, towards the couple stood just feet away from her, she saw Derek looking slightly puzzled. "Kayleigh was my wife." She explained. Dereks chiselled features softened as he began to look at her with pity. She hated that look. She knew all the intentions where good but still, she grew tired of it. As soon as someone found out that she was a widow that's the look they would give and safe to say, it didn't make her feel any better.

Meredith reached a hand out and placed it on her sisters arm in an attempt to comfort her. "I'm sorry Abby. You're always welcome to stay with us for a while, until you figure out what you want to do." She said with a tight lipped smile, looking towards Derek for approval who just nodded gently. Abigail just gave a slight nod back showing her gratitude and appreciation.

Just them both Meredith and Dereks pagers beeped, earning a sigh from both of them. Meredith shot Abigail an apologetic look before saying "Look, stick around here today, I'll come find you after my shift okay?" Abigail only had time to give a small nod in return before the couple were no longer in sight, leaving her stood alone on the lobby, looking around aimlessly.