Chapter Forty-Five - Employee of the Month

The chapters are getting longer, I've noticed--do you guys prefer longer chapters with more detail or shorter ones that don't drag as much?

    Fireflies dance around me, as if trying to bait me out of my disguise too early. The night is silent, and the only sound I can hear before the flying saucer arriving is the crickets' stridulation. I have no choice but to watch as the UFO mistakenly hovers over Cyborg, who is disguised as a cow, the mechanic Titan only bounding into action as he is pulled into the sky.

    "Titans! Now!" Robin shouts, and he and Starfire both escape their disguises with one swift motion. Raven and I jump out of our scarecrow outfits, and Beast Boy transforms from a pig to a human, then to a dinosaur to attack. 

    As Cyborg is taken in the air, he jumps out of the cow costume. "Moo-yah!" he calls, blasting the saucer in such a way that it drops the cow. Before Cyborg can fall, he grabs onto one of the UFO's claws and hangs on for dear life.

    As a defence mechanism, the saucer begins to shoot out strikes of energy that resemble lightning. Raven, Starfire and I dodge them in the air; I look down to see Robin doing the same on the ground.

    "It's getting away!" I hear Cyborg wail, and fly over to him as the UFO dashes away from us.

    "Cyborg!" Beast Boy roars, my first and only indicator that the other Titans are hot on my trail.

    The saucer acts as if no one is driving it, flying in all sorts of directions to try and shake the mechanic teen off. "Is that all you got?" he teases through gritted teeth after the machine's failure to rid itself of him.

    "For crying out loud, Cy, don't ask for it to attack!" I chastise, pulling my body into a streamlined position as I near the Titan.

    "Cyborg, we're closing in," Robin says through my earpiece. "Hang on!"

    "That's what I'm trying to do!" Cyborg shouts. The UFO speeds around and through the farm as it attempts to shake off its pursuers, but I only get faster as momentum propels me forward.

    "How come I'm the only one who actually has to run?" I hear Beast Boy ask, but I ignore him as I reach out for Cyborg. The robotic teen grabs my hand, instantly destabilising me.

    "This was a mistake," I state as I begin to get flung around. A shrill scream leaves me as the two of us near a building, the UFO intentionally flying straight towards it to get us off. "This was a big mistake!"

    Cyborg jumps on the front of the saucer and before I can react, slams his fist down into it with incredible force. "Time to see what you got under the hood!" he says. The UFO brakes instantly, sending Cyborg and I flying back into the building the saucer was headed towards.

    "Whoa!" he screams, and I hold my hand out as I am propelled backward. Cyborg lets a confused expression erupt his face before his eyes widen as he looks over at me.

    All I manage to get out is a loud yell as my back collides with the building, the impact sending waves of riveting pain through me. In one last act of desperation, I hold my hands out and the road caves as I land, softening the blow.

    "Cyborg! Where did it go?" Robin asks.

    "I don't know. It just disappeared." I feel the rocks being pulled away from on top of my body and a loud, dramatic gasp that could only have come from Starfire.

    "Ember!" Loud pacing fills my right ear and my hair is brushed away from my face. "Are you okay?" I can barely register Robin's question as I move my hand up to rub my eyes, and he turns to Cyborg. "What happened?"