Chapter Twenty-Eight - X

I wasn't sure what to call Red X's... well, X's, so I just called them that. If anyone else knows what to call them that'd be so much help to me.

The safe door opens and we run through, just as a slim figure runs out of our sight. I stop in my tracks as Robin does the same in front of me. He looks around solemnly before pointing in one direction and running off, leaving us to follow.

    The lights turn on to reveal an elevator shaft, and the same figure escaping using a long, red wire. Raven lifts her hands and the elevator that we stand on begins to rise. It stops abruptly to reveal the dark figure running through the lasers that have been altered to change their course. We run through, into the darkness, until the figure turns around.

    My mouth drops to the floor as my gaze flickers from Robin to the masked villain. "What the..." I say softly, blinking slowly in disbelief. The person in front of us stands in Robin's old Red X costume—a tight-fitting bodysuit with the letter X marked in red multiple times around it.

    "Red X? I thought Robin was Red X!" Beast Boy shouts.

    "Think again!" the villain says before throwing several explosives at our feet.

    "Titans! Go!" Robin shouts, and we all dive for cover except for Raven, who shields herself with a black dome before looking up as Red X jumps up at her. She blocks the front of her body with another shield, but the villain lands behind her and sweeps her feet, knocking her to the floor.

    He lowers himself beside her and holds up another explosive, but it's blasted back by Starfire before it can do any damage to the cloaked girl. She shoots more starbolts, but Red X avoids them all, pushing himself off against the wall and catapulting at Starfire.

    Instead of tackling her to the ground as I suspected, Red X pushes off her and runs through the roof as she shoots more starbolts behind him. He shoots a laser from his hands, which ricochets off the walls and hits Starfire, sending her to the ground.

    I pull rocks onto my arms as shielding from the costume's abilities and launch myself at Red X. At the last second, he dives out of the way, just as my rocky fist slams into the ground. I growl and run at him again, swinging punches and kicks, which all miss. He kicks me in the chest, sending me back, but is surrounded by all of us—except for Robin, who's miraculously disappeared—when I get up.

    "Come on, kids," the distorted voice teases. "X marks the spot." A blinding light fills the room briefly before fading, and we all shoot at the villain as he somersaults and flips in the air in an attempt to evade us. My balls of fire all miss, as does everyone else's attacks, and he lands at Beast Boy's feet. The green gorilla punches him, but he disappears, as if he were a hologram.

    I whip my head around at the sound of holographic machinery and tumbling crates to see Robin tackle Red X to the ground. They exchange punches until Robin pins the villain to a wall of crates. "Who are you?" he demands, and I recognise the desperation in his voice.

    "If I wanted you to know that, would I be wearing a mask?" Red X replies, his hand gripping onto Robin's and electrocuting the latter.

    I catch Robin in the air and lower him to the ground. "You okay?" I ask him, looking up occasionally in case of any impending attacks from the unknown villain.

    "I am now," Robin replies, standing up and rubbing his neck with his hand.

    "Azarath Metrion—" I look over to see Raven and Cyborg charging at Red X. Raven's cut off when Red X throws a device in the air, electrocuting the pair.