Chapter Nineteen - Date With Destiny

This took a lot of editing, and even so, I might come back to it later to edit it some more.

    I turn my communicator off to avoid reverb as Robin begins to speak. "Range to target!" he says through his own communicator.

    "Five hundred and closing," Cyborg states as he and Raven drive to the same destination in the T-Car. "Should have a visual any—"

    "There he is!" Starfire cuts him off as the villain comes into view for all of us to see.

    "Correction," Raven says through Cyborg's communicator. "There it is." Robin skids the R-Cycle to a stop in front of a jewellery store, where a human with a spider for a head stands, gun in one hand, stolen jewellery in the other. Cyborg pulls the T-Car to a stop in front of us.

    The villain pulls the trigger, and Robin drives the vehicle out of the way before we're hit. Cyborg does the same and the four of us watch as the thief jumps onto the roof of the building. He uses the spider legs attached to his head to glide from building to building, and we chase after him.

    Starfire shoots three starbolts, and each one misses. Robin presses a button on the R-Cycle's panel and fires explosive discs at it, which also miss. Cyborg opens fire and shoots a heat seeking missile, but right at the last second, the jewellery store thief jumps up and dodges it.

    He turns around and fires a ball of web at Beast Boy, sticking him to a building. "Super-loogie?" Beast Boy complains as he struggles to get out. The thief fires several more at Starfire but she dodges, and he sets to making a wall of web that spreads across the road. I lift the R-Cycle and T-Car up and let the wind carry them over the wall.

    The thief turns around and fires balls of web at us, but Robin manoeuvres the R-Cycle in such a way that we avoid it. Cyborg isn't so lucky, and one blast hits the windshield of the T-Car, covering it completely.

    "I can't see!" Cyborg exclaims, and he and Raven skid to a stop. The thief's web strikes Starfire next, and she subsequently gets glued to the pavement. Fortunately, she blasts herself free just as Robin and I pass her, and she rejoins us in the pursuit.

    Our guy rounds a corner and we soon follow into the alley. He jumps over a car and across the train tracks, and Robin revs the engine before doing the same. Once in the air, Robin ditches the vehicle, and I do the same as he grapples onto a building, watching from the roof as the R-Cycle floats down to safety.

I zoom after the villain, only hoping that Robin's close behind me. Said leader overtakes me as we jump from building to building, but the thief turns around and blasts Robin, paralysing him.

"Can't... move!" he manages as he falls to the ground.

"Robin!" Starfire and I shout as I dive after the leader. I grab his arm before slowly landing back on the ground, the Boy Wonder in my arms.

"He is okay?" Starfire asks once I land. I hold Robin awkwardly in effort to steady him, paranoid that he'll topple over.

"He will be," Cyborg reassures us. "The venom's effect is only temporary."

"Getting away... we have to... go after him!" Robin splutters, and he starts to fall over before I reach out and grab him. "Whoa..."

"You mean, we have to go after him," Raven tells him.

"You need to chill until that stuff wears off," Cyborg states.

"But—" Robin begins to protest, and Beast Boy cuts him off before he can argue.