Chapter Sixty-Two - Revved Up

I hate exams :)

    A revved engine's roar cuts through the harsh desert winds. Grains of sand poke at my eyes and I squint, denying them access and allowing me to focus on the approaching figure as the six of us land in the middle of the road. I'm prepared to lift us all up, creating a small divot and saving ourselves at the same time, but the driver lets out an inaudible gasp and halts the car.

    "What's buzzin', cousins?" he asks, acting completely innocent.

    Robin walks forward menacingly. "You're going to hand over what you stole, now!"

    "Chill out, cool cat," the driver replies with a wry grin. "The Ding Dong Daddy ain't cruisn' for a bruisin'. The prize is yours. All you gotta do is race me for it."

    "What does he mean, prize?" Beast Boy questions from behind me, but I'm too busy crinkling my brow in disgust at the name the thief's appointed himself.

    Ding Dong Daddy holds up a briefcase, and I recognise it immediately. For dramatic effect—or maybe the criminal's as stupid as he looks—he's holding it up to the Titans with the logo facing away. Unless they've seen and used the briefcase as much as I have, they don't know what it is or who it belongs to.

    I glance at Robin wearily, but his eyes are already locked on mine and waiting for me to meet his gaze. He shakes his head, indicating to get it back first, and ask questions later. I bite my tongue and oblige.

    "One hundred percent titanium alloy. Bulletproof, fireproof, blast proof. Encrypted lock. And here's the real kicker."

    It's shown to be for dramatic effect as Ding Dong Daddy finally turns the briefcase around. The four Titans around me let out shocked gasps, shuffling in their places, and Cyborg steps forward.

    "Robin," he begins, "when you said we had to stop a crook, I think you left out a minor detail: you were the one robbed!"

    "It doesn't matter," the Boy Wonder shoots back.

    I walk forward, in line with Robin. My eyes turn to slits and I scrutinise the shabby thief before me as my voice takes over an arrogant tone. "Hand it over."

    "We can do this the easy way or the hard way."

    "How 'bout my way? You want it back, you'll need to beat me in a race." Ding Dong Daddy grins mischievously from behind the wheel, a knowing glint in his eyes as he turns the keys. Instantly, his car comes to life, and he adds, "That's if you have the wheels for it!"

    "You're challenging the T-Car with that thing?" Cyborg exclaims. "Oh, you are on!" Robin's eyebrow raises as he shoots the mechanic teen an incredulous glower, but he's either not seen or simply ignored amidst the heat of the challenge.

    "Then I'll see you at the finish line! Be there or be square!"

    Ding Dong Daddy pulls a scroll from a compartment and throws it towards us; I look up at it and it stops mid-air before falling into my palm. He lets out an aggravating cackle and drives past us, and the smoke that billows blinds us long enough for him to get a good head start. Eager to regain Robin's briefcase—though I'm still not quite sure how it was stolen from the Tower in the first place—I place the scroll in Cyborg's hand as he runs towards the T-Car before moving towards Robin and the R-Cycle.

    The Boy Wonder's already off, and it's all I can do to catch up. I turn my communicator on from my belt and launch my body onto a rock, riding it like a hoverboard in pursuit of the criminal.

    "Dude, this map makes no sense!"

    I almost make the mistake of looking down at my communicator and taking it out, as it almost costs me valuable time. I'm forced to dodge a cactus by flying upside down, gripping the rock for dear life as I defy gravity.