Chapter Nine - Masks

I didn't know where to bring Ember into Robin's Red X mess, so hope I did alright. Also, please don't be afraid to vote and comment—comments help me to become a better writer and votes give me more motivation to write.

A red microchip floats in the middle of the room, for all inside to see. A broad-shouldered figure with an orange and black mask reaches out to grab it, but stops when he sees Robin, hanging upside down like a bat.

    "Tell Slade if he wants this, he can come get it himself!" Robin growls as he jumps down and kicks the man back. The lights turn on to reveal all six of us standing in front of him menacingly.

A laser cuts a man sized hole in the roof, and several more henchmen jump in. The laser fires itself at Robin, who skids back until he reaches the rest of us. A henchman launches himself at Robin, throwing punches that the leader avoids with ease. He pulls out his laser to gain the upper hand but Robin kicks him hard, sending him back.

By this point, the henchmen have spread out. Starfire defeats one, but another henchman shoots his handheld laser at the spotlight above her. Luckily, Robin grabs the alien by the waist and gets her out of the way when it falls. It brings up a cloud of dust and I take the time to gather myself in front of the pair as they recover. It's fortunate that I choose to do this, because three more henchmen have gathered themselves around the two Titans.

    "You thought it was going to be that easy?" I ask, sweeping them and myself up into the air. I shoot flames at them, but only one of them gets hit. The other two easily dodge and I fly out of the way before I get taken down. They aim their lasers at me, but before they have the chance to shoot, a giant computer cabinet slides into them, crushing them against the wall.

    "Amazing what you can do with computers these days," Cyborg says effortlessly, and I grin at his remark.

Raven glides away from the lasers, and uses her magic to block the next attack. While she's staring at the marks in the ground that it made, the henchman runs up to her and she's forced to defend herself rather than attack. He sweeps her onto her knees with one kick and is about to blast her when Beast Boy rams into him.

"You owe me big time, you owe me big—" Beast Boy teases as the henchman recovers. Another henchmen jumps behind him and quickly aims the laser, but Raven squishes him in between two computer cabinets. She rolls her eyes and places her hands on her hips, causing Beast Boy to chuckle. "Call it even?"

Cyborg and Starfire both guard the chip, and shoot at the henchman that tries to grab it. They miss their shots, and he jumps, grabs the chip, and bolts. Robin throws a birdarang as he and I chase the goon, and the chip is knocked out of his hands.

"Mine!" I hear Beast Boy shout as he turns into an armadillo and catches the red microchip with his tongue. A henchman easily steps on his tongue and collects the chip, before gathering with four other goons near the exit. They throw a smoke bomb down and disappear. "That tasted so nasty," Beast Boy comments, but none of us pay him any attention.

"Titans! Go!" Robin yells as we dash off after the goons. We enter the corridor, only to find six identical hallways, including the one we came from. "Split up!" Robin commands, and I follow him into the sewers as everyone else takes a different path. There, we spot a henchman making a run for it, and we chase after him. He shoots lasers at us but we avoid them, and Robin throws another birdarang.

"Robin! Get behind me!" I say as I pick up the water from behind me and throw it on the goon. It only gives him a boost and I frown before using the same tactic to move the two of us even faster.