Chapter 4 (Old Bully, New Friend)

-Mikey's View-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beeeeep Beeeeeep Beeeeeep!

An alarm clock blares throughout a sizeable rectangular shaped room with an array of beds positioned vertically against the side walls.

The sound echoes throughout the temporary accommodation and ricochets off of all four corners.
A chorus of moans erupts shortly afterwards.

Not a single bed is vacant while a bunch of teenaged males shift on every mattress.
They cock their heads and peer from underneath the covers at the source of the noise whilst a glower appears on each of their faces.

"MIKEY!" They shout in a simultaneous chime with obvious annoyance hinted in their voices.

The body of a small and weedy young teen jolts his upper body to a brisk sitting pose instantaneously in one swift motion.

"I'm awake, what's happening?!" He exclaims in a hurried pace.

Strands of his loose and ruffled blonde hair stick up in every direction as he opens his round baby blue eyes.

He is oblivious for a second of the agonizing ring which continues to linger in the air around him until he reviews all the boys' cranky expressions.

"You're stupid clock is the problem, dummy." One of the kids spoke flatly.

Mikey cocks his head to the left side of his bed and notices what they're so mad at him for.
The corners of his mouth curve up into a sheepish grin and he chuckles nervously.

He outstretches his arm and pushes a button causing the loud repetitive beeping to cease immediately.

"Sorry about that guys." He apologizes lowly.

At that moment the creaking of footsteps are heard marching up a set of stairs from outside the room.

   Before anyone can react a wooden door swings open and the figure of a stumpy man with a stunted appearance steps inside.
His greasy hair is a mess revealing bits of grey strands while his cold gaze scans everyone in the room.

"Get up you lazy brats! breakfast will be ready in fifteen minutes and if you're not down there by then you ain't gettin' any." He yells in a furious tone, sounding hoarse in his voice.

Once the pudgy man exits the room, all the boys scamper out of their beds to form an uncoordinated line.

"I call bathroom!" The high-pitched voice of one of the boys calls.

There's not mistaken the lively gleam in Mikey's eye.

"Not if I get there first dude!" He responds.

Mikey springs upright as he throws off his superhero blanket and stands at his bedside before he runs, full of spirit to be the first person there before anyone else.

Mikey takes a sharp left hand turn as the socks he has on his feet create friction while he slides down the smooth surface of the hallway floor, picking up speed.

He is agile in his movements but was moving at such a fast pace that he didn't stop to look down at a fully-grown sinewy teen's leg as it extends out a foot in front of him.

He trips over the stiff leg and his whole body is sent tumbling down a steep staircase.

After he stops moving, Mikey releases a loud moan as he lays there at the bottom of the steps in agony.

'Ughhh, what did I hit?' Mikey asks in his head.

"Have fun being last misfit." The same kid who purposely made him fall teases in a mocking tone.