Chapter 2 (The Boy On The Bus)

-Donnie's View-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The head of a young teenage boy peaks inside of an unzipped backpack.
His face is shaved of stubble while his hair is neat and trimmed.
He takes his pointer finger and pushes up the rectangular shaped glasses he has on to the arch of his nose.

"School books check, note books check, pencil case check, gym clothes check." He says nonchalantly.

Casually zipping up his pack, he buttons up the collar of his purple polo before he blows away pieces of his chocolate brown hair from his clean face.
He slips the backpack over his shoulder and speed walks through his bedroom door.

Only to see the figure of a little girl coming towards him.
She has a full head of blonde hair, curls bounce off her shoulders as she came to a stop in front of him.

"Donnie!, mommy told me to tell you that breakfast is ready." She says energetically.

A small but gentle smile appears on the brunette boy's face seeing the dimples on her rosie cheeks.

"Okay Susie tell mom I'll be right down." He replies.

The girl immediately spins around in her footing, she speeds down the hall in a flash before taking a sharp turn.

Donnie can hear her loud footsteps clobber down the stairs.

A feeling of apprehension creeps inside of him as he exhales a deep breath to try and calm his anxious nerves.

"Everything's going to be alright D." Donnie says quietly, his voice being no loud than a whisper.

*******

The dainty boy strolls down a tall and narrow hall with elegant pictures lined up on the right side of the wall of his family.

He turns his oval shaped head to his right and overlooks a balcony which runs horizontally to a shiny banister.
Being cautious in each step he takes as he walks down a fleet of lush carpet stairs.

Stepping into a square room, Donnie puts his pack of school supplies over on the ground to the side and watches his family, well most of them sit at a long wooden table which is placed in the middle of hardwood flooring.

"Where is dad?, I thought he said that he would be here this morning to say goodbye." He questions the first person he sends his gaze on, who happens to be his mom.

A petite middle aged woman with long flowy dark hair has just put a platter of golden brown pancakes on the smooth surface of the table.

Her jade irises lift up to lock eye contact with her only son.

"He did, but something came up at work and he had to work extra hours." She replies.

Her son's hazel eyes reflect a look of sympathy as he sees the bags under her eyes.

The brunette opens his mouth to say something but an older woman beat him to it.

"Sammy ya look tired haven't ya gotten any shut eye?" She asks with a strong southern accent hinted in her voice.

Donnie recognizes her to be his Grandmother.
He calls her Granny Jansen or Gran Gran, she looks like a small and frail elderly woman in her mid sixties but don't let her appearance fool you.
She's as stubborn as a mule when it comes to caring for her family and has some backbone after growing up on a ranch down in Texas.

"I haven't. At the hospital a toddler came in with a really high fever and I had to monitor him throughout the night but don't you worry I'll take a nap as soon as I do the dishes after ya'll eat." Donnie's mother assures.