CHAPTER 25

2-9

Cold melancholy melted away to red hot anger.

As that day wore on, the only thing Camilla could feel was the boiling rage rushing through her head. She didn't have time to calm down, as when that anger swept through her it snuffed out all her shock, confusion and despair.

It was obviously done out of malice.

It was an attempt to personally hurt Camilla.

Someone truly wanted to humiliate her. It was different from the gossiping that always happened behind her back, something much more cunning and low.

Who was it that stood above Nicole, controlling her like a puppet?

– Do you really think I am going to just stay depressed like this?

Whoever did this was obviously rejoicing in her suffering. So, the longer she wallowed in misery, the more fun they would have.

Therefore, can she really afford to sit here feeling sorry for herself? Camilla got to her feet, lifting up her face.

She might end up doing something brash and making even more enemies, but so be it.

– I need to hear what Nicole has to say.

Who put her up to it? Why did they want to open up her old wounds with such an imitation? Just who was it that wanted to humiliate her like this?

– I will tear you down.

Alois promised her he would find the culprits, but Camilla wasn't the type of person that could just sit idly by and entrust everything to someone else.

She would find out who was behind this herself.

As she chewed her lip as if to bite back her rage, Camilla strode through the mansion alone.

Her destination was the maids' sleeping area.

There was a large room on the second floor with beds and cots lined up next to one another, it didn't get much sunlight.

This was the room where the low ranking servants and maids were quartered. When they were older, they would climb the ranks and move on to have their own rooms.

She moved to the sectioned off part where the maids slept. As she looked behind the partitioning curtain that separated the sexes, she couldn't see Nicole at all. When she questioned the other young maids, they said that some of the senior maids had called her away.

Then, she had to go to the northern room on the ground floor. That was where the senior maids had their rooms.

Those rooms were the northernmost rooms in the whole mansion. For the younger senior maids, they weren't given individual rooms but would instead bunk with several others. Still, they had more personal space than the junior maids, and they got better food and pay as well.

The first three rooms that she came across were all rooms that were shared by young senior maids. Only one of them had a slightly ajar door. Light leaked out from the open doorway, as the other two doors were shut.

It was still early afternoon. Although it may seem a bit early to be turning on the light, these north facing rooms likewise didn't get much sunlight so they could become dark quite easily.

There are people inside.

She couldn't see anyone else in the hallway either. Should she rush in now or wait and see? As she hesitated, she heard a voice.

"Nicole! Did you really do it the way we told you!?"

Camilla held her breath on instinct.

She really had become an excellent eavesdropper.