CHAPTER 55

4 (1) – 4

"Oh, so you met Klaus, then?"

Camilla stomped her way straight from the kitchen all the way to Alois, where her complaints were met with a grimace.

Alois was in his office, buried up to his neck in a mountain of documents as he sat at his desk.

But just for now, he set aside his pen. Who knows if that was because he was truly worried about Camilla's concerns, or he pragmatically realized that ignoring her in that obviously enraged state of hers would be a very unwise move?

Camilla herself felt guilty for interrupting Alois, who was obviously in the weeds. At least, she thought that feeling was guilt. But even if she felt guilty, that feeling came second to her anger.

"'Oh, so you met him', my foot! Did you not hear a word of what I just told you!? He called your meal, 'pig's food', Lord Alois!"

– Pig.

Camilla herself had often cursed the man in front of her a toad or a frog, because of his round belly and rough skin. Even if her social position compared to Alois didn't give her leeway to call him that, the man himself didn't seem interested in refuting her words, so there wasn't really a problem.

At least, Camilla does not call him a pig. There was something sharper to those words compared to the word 'frog', a deeper sense of malice and mockery imbued in them.

"In the first place, Lord Alois, you are not even that much of a pig anymore! You are just a bit meatier than the average person!"

Seven months had passed since she first met Alois. His neck was no longer ringed with excess chins, and his eyes and mouth were no longer obscured by the fat puffing out his face. Even his toadish skin was beginning to improve bit by bit thanks to the ointment she had brought from Einst.

Slowly and steadily, he was surely escaping the frog zone. All that remained was to shave away the last of the flab, chisel the sagging meat on his arms into muscle, pick out a new wardrobe, and tackle that greasy mop on top of his head he had the gall to call hair. Then, perhaps, he might be ready to face the public eye. His skin was still the biggest hurdle, but that could be vaulted through liberal use of makeup.

"Thank you very much... Wait, should I be thanking you?"

Alois was always quick to deride himself, but this time he laughed unusually loudly. Was the reason he wasn't hurt at all because he had begun to understand just who Camilla was?

No...

"Why are you fine with this!?"

If he truly understood Camilla, he wouldn't have laughed.

"Do not say thank you! Shouldn't you feel some shame in being told such a thing!? Are you simply going to let this lie in such a way!?"

Even though Camilla had been the one who had said it, she was the only one who got angry. But because Alois simply took the insult on the chin with a laugh, she felt like a fool getting frustrated all by herself, which ironically only made her angrier.

"The only people who say things like that to me are you and Klaus, you know?"

Alois shrugged his shoulders as he said that.

"He's a good man."

"A good man!?"

Just what part of him could ever be called good? Camilla couldn't help but repeat his words back at him incredulously.

It's true that his face wasn't bad at all. That's only ever more apparent when she compared that face of his she remembered to Alois' who sat in front of her now. His curly hair was neatly combed into shape whilst he wore his chef whites in an unorthodox yet presentable way, somehow making them look fashionable. What's more, he had an intrinsically stylish air to how he walked and carried himself.